AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My countless hours of research better have served me well – my Boxlight 1HD (Sanyo Z1 clone) has just arrived from AVdeals.ca in Toronto (C$1799). No turning back now. Whew, I’m excited!

OK, next up’s the screen. No mega-buck Firehawk for me, friends; I’m way too cheap. Thanks to some of you folks, I’m gonna make my own screen out of this blackout cloth stuff. Surprised as hell that they knew what it was at Fabricville (a major Canadian fabric store). Generally if you don’t have the exact French translation in Quebec you ain’t gettin’ nowhere. Anyway, the woman knew exactly what it was. Bought 3 m (10’) for C$30 (US$22). The screen will be 16:9, 100“ diag. (48†x 85â€).

Now after CMRA’s hearty recommendation, I bought 1 gal. of flat Glidden’s Misty Evening for C$20 at Wal-Mart. Hmm, I think I bought way too much. One gallon? What was I thinking?

Oh yeah, I toned down the blue component! The mix calls for 11.5 “shots†of blue, so I asked for 9.5 shots. I figure that might counter the slight blue tendency that some have mentioned when using Misty Evening. They’ll add any amount of extra tint if I want to fine tune my formula.

I’ll be rolling it on with Rubbermaid’s Premium series roller for smooth surfaces (C$6).

Tonight I may begin building the frame. At Builder’s Box I bought my wood (1 x 3 inch and 1 x 2 inch pine), and the hardware, which is comprised of flat straight- and T-bars. This came to C$53.

The total bill for the whole screen (so far) is ~ C$110 (US$80). Sweet price; we'll see how delectable the image is further on down this adventure.

Now, my friends, it’s time to start a-cuttin’ and a-screwin’. Regular follow-ups to come.

--Matty

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
CMRA is keeping a close watch on this thread. Best wishes. Hope your results work out as favorable as mine. Remember, also, to prime the surface first.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had kind of given the impression that I was beginning the screen for my 1HD last night (Sep. 19). Alas, family rolled into town and I was otherwise occupied. Sorry to those who were waiting for the play-by-plays and accompanying photos to begin then. I Should be starting Sunday afternoon.

--Matty

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I cut the 1 x 3 (all inches) pine down to size (51" for sides, 89" for top & bottom), using a miter box (I don't like butt joints). Saw's dull, so it took a while. Funny thing is a dull saw almost gives a smoother cut; no chance of sharp teeth grabbing a loose part & tearing out too much wood.

Next was carefully attaching 2 flat L-bars to each corner. Advice: never trust that just because you've paid attention in your measurements & cutting that you can blindly squeeze the sides together and screw your L-bars in -- you always have to use a square, and measure the frame all around frequently. Wood is finicky; they're will always be an area that was cut too deeply, or not enough, or an invisible warp. Consequently in my case, to maintain a mathematically accurate frame, I had to accept having a gap of 2 mm between sides at one corner.

Anyway, now it's onto 2 simple 1 x 2 vertical braces to prevent compression.

As for painting the flat Misty Evening (my formula), I'm still torn between rolling and using my Wagner sprayer. Biggest issue w/ spraying is having to make a booth in the garage. Also, several of you have mentioned that rollers gave satisfying results. Advice?

--Matty

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Glidden's Misty Evening is an exterior masonary paint. As such, it flows and covers all the nooks and crannies. It's ALWAYS best to prime when working on wood. Primer seals the wood and sets up the paint for a truly even finish. Rolling prduces excellent results.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, about 6 hrs. later and the screen is practically done (save painting and the wall-mounting system). Pretty quick.

I wisely followed dunno who's advice (sorry I can't give you proper credit) by stapling the blackout cloth in a "center-out" pattern. It goes like this: staple the screen to the top member in the very center, for ex., and then put a staple at the center of the bottom member. Then move out to the sides in an alternating pattern.

I worked with the screen on the floor, and it required a *lot* of walking: staple top slightly to the left, walk around to the bottom and put its staple slightly to the left as well. Walk back to the top to staple slightly to the right, then walk around to the bottom and put its staple slightly to the right. Repeat for about 150 staples. Yikes. It was also hard on the hands, as I had to pull extremely tightly with one hand, and then staple with the other. Those industrial staplers require a LOT of hand strength to squeeze.

My initial concern of the blackout cloth having so many ugly creases after being folded in the bag has proved to be a non-issue: the thing is taught as hell.

Next, I’ll be devising a mounting system, probably with turnbuckles, and then I’ll test it for a few days unpainted. Man, it’s 3:20 am, and although dying to turn on my 1HD for the first time, I’m just too beat. Nitey nite.

--Matty

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I can't help but notice all the hard work your'e doing. I have a suggestion. You mentioned you have a 'gallon' of Misty. For testing purposes, why not just get a cheap piece of Luan (aka doorskin) prime and paint it? You can then determine if Misty suits you. And, you can re-use the luan for other testing applications or whatever. This way you'll preserve your BO screen for the 'Final' and best finish solution. Best wishes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
I have a suggestion. You mentioned you have a 'gallon' of Misty. For testing purposes, why not just get a cheap piece of Luan (aka doorskin) prime and paint it? You can then determine if Misty suits you ... This way you'll preserve your BO screen for the 'Final' and best finish solution. Best wishes.
CMRA, your suggestion is wise. I wil do just that.

cburbs, I have taken a few pix of the construction process, and they are coming soon.

--Matty

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sounds great, can't wait for the results to be posted.

One newb question, is he going to just paint the blackout fabric to make his screen??

If so, what the heck kind of fabric is it?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Blackout cloth, from my understanding is the same thing I have in my house as curtains. Its basically a fabric with a white rubber backing on it. I use it because in the summer time in Juneau, AK its light out all, but 3 or 4 hours at night for the most part. So the rubber backing stops the lights from coming through and allows you to sleep in a dark room when its sunny as hell outside...hmmm not sure if hell would ever be sunny, but you get the point.

For projectors I guess it doesn't let much light leak through so it reflects most of it back to you keeping the picture bright. Oh, and I'm pretty new to all this so take my words with a grain of salt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.