AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the materials I bought for my 49 x 87 inch 16:9 screen. Some were actually not used: I over bought so I wouldnt be missing some stupid little thing at 3 in the morning.

The wood is 1 x 3 inch and 1 x 2 inch pine.

The blackout cloth was 3m x 154 cm wide for C$30 (US$22) at Fabricville. Only used 2.5 m.

As I mentioned, I bought 1 gal. of flat Glidden Misty Evening for C$20 at Wal-Mart, w. a toned down blue component: 9.5 shots.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Notes: I really think that two L-bars on ea. corner is essential. Next up is detail of one of the corners.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Notice this gap. This is *intentional*, in order to maintain a true and square frame! Don't think that just 'cuz you measured and cut w. care that your frame will be perfect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
With these 1 x 2 inch braces, compression along the horizontal sides is a non-issue. I consider these essential.

The next photo will show how the braces are recessed so they don't touch the screen. If this happened, they'd risk pushing slightly on the surface, hence becoming visible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The 2 braces are recessed so they don't touch the screen from behind. If this happened, they'd risk pushing slightly on the surface, and hence become visible.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My screen is done, at least construction-wise. I'll be projecting directly on the blackout cloth for a week or so to see if I want to paint it w. my modified Misty Evening paint.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Matty,

How did you fasten the material to the frame? Staples?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Are you going to add an outer frame, like a trim to this? If so, how?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the Qs, folks.

yubyub, yes, I stapled the screen. No problems. But man did I pull tightly; my hands were blistered.

Gig103 and Kornbiz247, yes I will add a black border, and probably a fat one (8+"). I actually built this 100 inch nominal frame 1" bigger on all sides to accomodate the attachment of the frame (it's 51" x 89"). It'll be movable, so probably thin Sintra or pegboard (hey yeah, maybe the holes make it lighter), wrapped in velvet.

Know what, people? Once you've spent 10+ hours designing and building your screen and it's up on the wall, people just don't appreciate the work.

"It's, uh, just a big white rectangle".

"Oh yeah, smart guy? You don't appreciate my hard work? Well, 'den, maybe ya don't wanna see 'da movie? Ya wants to be ejected from the cinema?? No? I didn't 'tink so. Now all together: 'you da man, you da man..."

--Matty

·
Registered
760 Posts
Matty, the question I have to ask next is "how will you attach the frame with the border?"

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since I built an extra 1" on all sides of the screen, I have a few mounting options for the border. Most interesting would be a clamping system on ea. of the 4 edges; maybe I can use some of those oversized black triangular paper clips that are made out of spring metal? It would eliminate the need to pierce the fabric.

Other options: velcro; neodymium magnets?

Actually, I really prefer a screen on a totally black wall (painted or velvet) for several good reasons: (I think) it looks better when the PJ is unused, and the image is better when projecting (less distraction = higher contrast).

So although I'll make a border for now, once we move into our new place and create a dedicated HT room, there may be no need for a border.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.