AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that I am having problems with my 24/96 card in my AMD based system setup, I was wodering if there is another card on the market that can passs a good DD and DTS signal through the optical output with the same quality as the 24/96.

I am currently using a SB Live for gaming on my HTPC, so this would only be used for DVD output.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Cameron

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
i though the M-Audio 24/96 gave reliable results for the HTPC user and DVD playback. I think your SB card is hindering you M-Audio's performance. Did you try employing the M-Audio only without the other sound card to see if dvd playback had improved?

I'm planning on purchasing an M-Audio 24/96 for my HTPC and am not aware of conflicting issues so someone please enlighten me if there are problems with this card with any of today's current software dvd players (WinDVD, MMC 4.1), Dscaler, etc.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually there is a know stuttering problem with the 24/96 and VIA chipsets. It was working perfectly and then suddenly stuttering started in the middle of watching a movie. Other than that it has been a great card.

Cameron

·
Registered
83 Posts
Why not use the SB digital output to pass DD? I could be mistaken, but aren't the encoded 5.1 signals simply passed through the card with no processing? This should make the card performance essentially irrelevant for this application. Of course CD music would be affected by card performance if this is important to you.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I read the SoundBlaster digital output is known to send a signal at the wrong voltage that can supposedly damage your audio equipment.

My particular SB card doesn't have Digital output.

The SB card can't pass through a DTS signal.

Please let me know if I am wrong with any of the above!

Thx,

Cameron

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Cameron,

look on your SB card and see if the model number is #4830 or #4832. If so, these particular SB Live cards do in fact output a proper voltage for your equipment. Do you have an SB Live Value?

Although the SB doesen't have an SPDIF connector you could employ a phono/to RCA adapter out of your cards digital output if you have the right model number. If your SB Live has a different model number then you could purchase a Hoontech adapter which will in turn give you SPDIF passthrough and in spec voltage at the digital output.

In the meantime, sell me you M-Audio :) No, seriously! Send me an email if your problems are not resolved

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks I will look at the card soon.

Cameron

·
Registered
83 Posts
Cameron,

The voltage is an issue from the on-card mini-jack output. If your SB has any of the expansion options, like the additional PC slot panel with the RCA jacks and digital DIN supplied with the original Live, or the Live Drive, the output is correct. If not, you can add the Hoontech adaptor for a lot less than a new card.

I cannot confirm the DTS output, but according to the "ultimate SPDIF reference chart" in the archives at http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=3

the SB supposedly works.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Cameron:

___The Live Value II’s (model number 4832 and 4830) both have AC-3 pass-thru (DD) and DTS capability via their respective digital/analog outputs under all major HTPC OS’s to date including Win98, Win98 SE, Millennium, Windows 2000 and even WinXP Home and Pro. They also have in-spec S/PDIF outputs as Power mentioned above so you will not have to worry about burning up a DD/DTS capable receiver. It does not have proper phase isolation circuitry however which may cause problems? Cliff will have to answer that one. For proper HTPC use, it’s the particular driver used and its setup that make them work so follow past posts and you should be fine no matter what your OS choice will be. I cannot vouch for the Audigy’s (

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.