AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,824 Posts
Hsu VTF3.5

edit; over budget at $958 shipped…..

I think you could toss a coin between Hsu VTF2.5 and SVS PB-1000 pro, both great $600 subs, and maybe feasible to add a second later on. This would be a very very good budget dual sub setup.

Rythmik LVX12 is only $49 over budget.

If you can stretch a bit, PB2000 pro, then the VTF3.5, then VTF15.2 going over budget more and more as you go.

If I were in your shoes, I'd stretch just a little if feasible for the VTF3.5. If you need to adhere strictly to budget then its the smaller Hsu or SVS IMO.

·
Registered
I like big cones and I cannot lie !
3,389 Posts
Reactions: T1G8RS_FAN

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Still waiting for the answer they want to hear ...
Yeah. I figured i would try and cut right to the end. I think on the 3rd or 4th round of asking more or less the same question we all should start suggesting stuff 2-3 times the stated budget. I'm kinda funny that way.

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Yeah. I figured i would try and cut right to the end. I think on the 3rd or 4th round of asking more or less the same question we all should start suggesting stuff 2-3 times the stated budget. I'm kinda funny that way.
Yeah, I go into ignore mode when the iterations become ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
8,693 Posts
Thank you. Room 12x16 floating floor above garage. Fully closable.
For your info, while our intention are seem to be always. To push your budget a little bit higher, we want really want you to learn from our previous mistake;)

Like my friend Mike @mthomas47 said in is Guide, the OP has to be ready when buying a sub or two. It's like buying buying a car, you go in with a certain budget and more likely ending more when asking for suggestions. Since most of us went through the hardship, of using a lesser product for a few dollar more. And end up just rebuying, with a loss trying to sell our present subs.

Darth

·
Registered
161 Posts
Where do you get all these numbers from? Each time a different budget for the sub and different percentage of music playback. In regards to this latest thread if movie-watching is 98% that means for each movie you've watched you've listened to 2-3 minutes of music.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Are you trying to fix this?

These answers didn't cut it? You're about to get them again.

What's the concern wirth the last round of suggested subs in the same price point?

I got the PB1000 at best buy today is my last day to return it. I liked it but I didn't find it "amazing, ground breaking etc" or at least not "amazing enough" to warrant $600. It's probably just me. So that's why I was wondering if the others bring anything above and beyond what PB1000 brought. If not then I might as well just give up on the woofer hunt and stay with my pioneer

For example for my fronts when I went from cheap pioneers to Ascend Acoustics the price difference per speaker was $300 but there was a night and day difference in sound clarity and reproduction.

Here I went up $500 and I can't "fell" that $$$

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For your info, while our intention are seem to be always. To push your budget a little bit higher, we want really want you to learn from our previous mistake;)

Like my friend Mike @mthomas47 said in is Guide, the OP has to be ready when buying a sub or two. It's like buying buying a car, you go in with a certain budget and more likely ending more when asking for suggestions. Since most of us went through the hardship, of using a lesser product for a few dollar more. And end up just rebuying, with a loss trying to sell our present subs.

Darth
That's what I am afraid off. I got the ava pb1000 off best buy and am about to return it since I didn't notice an amazing change from my $120 pioneer so called fart box. So I was just wondering if I am missing something that the $500 brings but I guess I will just keep the $500.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Where do you get all these numbers from? Each time a different budget for the sub and different percentage of music playback. In regards to this latest thread if movie-watching is 98% that means for each movie you've watched you've listened to 2-3 minutes of music.
I barely ever listen to music in my home theater room. It wasn't meant for that.

Once in a long long while I pop in a 5.1 pink Floyd blue ray and that's where I got the 2% from.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
IMO, you're going to get decent subwoofers in that price range, but nothing that's going to really impress you in that size of a room.

If you're looking for more bass, you need to increase your budget (possibly double) or go the DIY route. I owned a SVS 20-39PCi for years. It was a decent sub, but it wasn't until I bought a Power Sound Audio S3601 that I really became satisfied with the HT impact that I was looking for.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
I got the PB1000 at best buy today is my last day to return it. I liked it but I didn't find it "amazing, ground breaking etc" or at least not "amazing enough" to warrant $600. It's probably just me. So that's why I was wondering if the others bring anything above and beyond what PB1000 brought. If not then I might as well just give up on the woofer hunt and stay with my pioneer

For example for my fronts when I went from cheap pioneers to Ascend Acoustics the price difference per speaker was $300 but there was a night and day difference in sound clarity and reproduction.

Here I went up $500 and I can't "fell" that $$$

Got it. So for a reasonable upgrade from there you would need to break 1K and a 15" driver (HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer). Your room isn't that big so how did you locate the sub? I didnt go back and read all the posts, but here is the standard interrogation list of questions.

1. Do you have a UMIK?
  2. If no UMIK how did you pick the spot for the sub as that may be the entire reason it doesnt sound good, and the reason the next sub doesn't sound good. Your room isnt that bug unless you have 10'+ ceilings.
  3. What are you after specifically besides "Room 12x16 floating floor above garage. Fully closable." and "Max $800 98% movie watching HSU, SvS 1000 Pro or Rythmik?" Do you want LFE as in useable 15Hz?
  4. What kind of volume do you listen at?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IMO, you're going to get decent subwoofers in that price range, but nothing that's going to really impress you in that size of a room.

If you're looking for more bass, you need to increase your budget (possibly double) or go the DIY route. I owned a SVS 20-39PCi for years. It was a decent sub, but it wasn't until I bought a Power Sound Audio S3601 that I really became satisfied with the HT impact that I was looking for.
Best tips for DYI? And are there actually savings or more like feeling guilty for wasting time and money so it must "sound good"?

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Best tips for DYI? And are there actually savings or more like feeling guilty for wasting time and money so it must "sound good"?
Significant savings depending on the value of your time and massive output as well . Meaning it takes some hours on your part.

None of this matters if you wont get the tools to maximize the output of the sub by choosing the right location(s).

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
Not for the faint of heart. You need the appropriate tools. But you can basically buy the enclosure, amp and woofer and put together one at a decent price. But you'll also need to finish the cabinet if you want it to look nice. I do a lot of hobby woodworking, but I still would rather buy one. But I'm not really on a budget for audio.

None of this matters if you wont get the tools to maximize the output of the sub by choosing the right location(s).
This is really important. A great sub can't make up for a less than optimal placement.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Got it. So for a reasonable upgrade from there you would need to break 1K and a 15" driver (HSU VTF-15H MK2 Subwoofer). Your room isn't that big so how did you locate the sub? I didnt go back and read all the posts, but here is the standard interrogation list of questions.

1. Do you have a UMIK?
  2. If no UMIK how did you pick the spot for the sub as that may be the entire reason it doesnt sound good, and the reason the next sub doesn't sound good. Your room isnt that bug unless you have 10'+ ceilings.
  3. What are you after specifically besides "Room 12x16 floating floor above garage. Fully closable." and "Max $800 98% movie watching HSU, SvS 1000 Pro or Rythmik?" Do you want LFE as in useable 15Hz?

1. Do you have a UMIK?
Ran the room EQ twice once with the Onkyo Built in one and one with UMK mic and Dirac Live just to make sure I was doing it right.

The woofer is between the speakers about 1/3 off the way right wall so 4 feet from the right wall and 3feet from the rear wall.

Receiver is Onkyo NR-7100
Fronts and center are Ascend Acoustics, sides are floor standing Polks and rears are old cheap repurposed Logitech THX ProMedia PC speakers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts