AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pardon my ignorance on the subject of front projectors, but for reference, the last time I messed with them was my Kloss Novabeam.

That said, I'm thinking about going back from RPTV to FP. I have a fairly long room. OK, I'll have to measure but I think it's about 20' from rear wall to where the screen would be and I would surely like to install this thing in the rear wall (cleanly hidden away). The room behind it is my shop so I can do anything I want back there.

Am I totally off base here? Can I be that far away from the screen? Also, how high off the ground would I be able to be? I'm thinking that I want a motorized screen. My budget will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $2500.

Is this doable?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I also have a 20' throw distance and have been looking at new projestors for a while now. For the most part the Sanyo plv-60 seems to be the only one in the

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
The Sony HS20 would give approximately the following screen sizes in 16:9 ratio:

width: 114" - 136"

height: 64" - 77"

So, from 20 feet the smallest screen you would get would be about 9.5' wide by 5.5 feet tall. If your wall is big enough to use a 9.5' screen than you are all set. At 5.5 feet tall, if your ceilings are 8' tall, this would mean that you could have the projector about 1.5' down from the celing (the lens) and your screen would be about 1.5' down as well (from the top) leaving you with a screen that is 1' off the ground. Obviously, if you have 9 foot ceilings, you would have 2' from the bottom of the screen to the floor.

That being said, your budget is borderline for an HS20 and you wouldn't have any left over for a screen, but you could always stretch your budget a bit and build a DIY screen.

Stew

·
Registered
649 Posts
It completely depends on the pj's throw length and the image size you're wanting to produce. In general, I'd say that a 20' throw would produce around 120". If you're looking for a 60" it isn't happening. If you're wanting to fill a 7' tall wall, it may not happen, either. If you're wanting something in the middle, you should be ok.

My infocus x1 show 121"-145" 16:9 at 20'.

JJ

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
width: 114" - 136"
Quote:
121"-145" 16:9 at 20'
Wow. At these sizes, would the pixels be pretty visible at, say, 15' viewing distance?

How does SDTV look on these things?

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
649 Posts
njmurvin...

sdtv is acceptable. I watch it at 60" 4:3 and I think it looks fine. It certainly isn't dvd, but I still prefer it over my 27" sony. Now, you could throw dscaler or line doublers/triplers/quadruplers at it and probably make it much better.

The general rule of thumb is to sit 2x the screen width. With that in mind, if you plan to have a really big screen like that, you'll probably want a higher lumen and higher resolution projector than what you'll get for $1000.

I don't think you've mentioned what models you're looking at, yet? I haven't seen them in person, but I think something like a z2 or 500u may even be a bit dim for an image that size.

JJ

·
Registered
649 Posts
njmurvin...

My picture gallery has a couple sdtv screenshots. Those are with my x1.

Iron Chef is 16:9 and Jamie Oliver is 4:3.

JJ

·
Registered
64 Posts
If your afraid of screen door, than look at DLP pj. I suggest maybe a dell projector because those have fairly long throw and are DLP, they would also leave you a nice chunk of cash for a screen. I own a Dell 2200MP and I get great results projecting 70", just keep the input Svideo or component and its good.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Njmurvin
Wow. At these sizes, would the pixels be pretty visible at, say, 15' viewing distance?

How does SDTV look on these things?

Thanks,

Neil

Many people sit at 1.5 X screen width and don't have any problems (some even sit closer). 1.5 is actually the rule of thumb that I hear most often. If you use the 114" figure, 15 feet away would put you right at 1.5

Stew

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK. I did a little measuring last night. From the back wall (where I'd like to put the PJ) to the front wall is about 21'. The front wall where the screen would go is inset with an 8.5' high ceiling. The rest of the room has vaulted ceilings (which is why I cannot ceiling mount this thing without it looking hideous).

The couch (front of back cushion) is about 16' from the wall. Now, I can bring the screen closer by about 2' with no problems by positioning it within the wall inset. That reduces the throw, but also reduces the viewing distance (I can't move the couch any further back due to the room layout).

So, correct me if I'm wrong. Based on a 16' viewing distance, ideally I should be looking for something that will get me a 96" wide image (at 2x1)?

Is 1.5x 1acceptable with an X1 or other lower res PJ? Or, will I need a higher res (i.e. price) model to make that work?

If the rear wall to front wall proves to be unworkable, the coffee-table position becomes my only other option. That may be OK, since I built my room with power in the floor right there and conduit to run signal lines (concrete slab floor). Of course, then the challenge would be to get a big enough image being that close to the screen - ARGHHH! Isn't anything easy?

Oh, and one more thing. The room is pretty dark even during the day. Ambient light is not a problem (by design).

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm learning here.

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
649 Posts
njmurvin...

I'm sticking to my 2x the screen width advise. I have an x1 and I'm just inches shy of 2x and I can just barely see pixelation. It gets worse as your signal is of lower quality (tv, low q dvd rips, etc...). Well encoded dvd's look great, though. I have a 74" 16:9 and I would love to run a 96" 16:9, but my room isn't long enough. The x1 is a great little machine, but it does have shortcomings inherent with an svga dlp. 1.5x would be acceptable, I'm sure, but I'd make sure that you had good quality stuff pushing it all the time.

Oh, and one recommendation on mounting is to do it upside-down, even when not ceiling mounting. If you can get Mandrax's mount, that's great. The x1 exhausts out the front and when shelf mounted you can see the exhaust waves, especialy on white images.

JJ

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JJ

Quote:
I'm sticking to my 2x the screen width advise.
I'll try, but I don't think I can accomplish this from behind me (wall is too far back and ceiling is too high). I can only do this from the coffee table and then I'll have the challenge of trying to get the image big enough - not to mention kicking the dog's butt every time she crosses the PJ path.

Quote:
Oh, and one recommendation on mounting is to do it upside-down, even when not ceiling mounting. If you can get Mandrax's mount, that's great. The x1 exhausts out the front and when shelf mounted you can see the exhaust waves, especialy on white images.
Thanks for the tip. Sounds like a well thought out solution to a real annoyance.

BTW, JJ is my daughter's nickname and coincidentally,she lives next to you in Springfield - just finished up at SMSU.

Neil

·
Registered
649 Posts
How do you know you're not talking to your daughter?

Hehehe...

Back to the issue at hand, though...

You mentioned that the couch can't go any further back. What's between the couch and the wall? Also, what's between the couch and the ceiling?

JJ

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
How do you know you're not talking to your daughter?
Because right now she's in a jungle in Nicaragua, and the internet cafes are only in the major cities.
Quote:
You mentioned that the couch can't go any further back. What's between the couch and the wall? Also, what's between the couch and the ceiling?
Nothing between the couch and wall, but the wall has a built-in bookcase so there has to be space to walk behind the couch. Then there's a window on the side wall that would complicate cornering off the couch to the loveseat. There's nothing above the couch except a 16' slope up to a center beam. The beam is quite high and isn't centered relative to the projection wall so a ceiling mount would really look bad and would be a virtual impossiblity to sell to the wife who, BTW, is perfectly satisfied with our 60" Hitachi RPTV.

Are there models of PJs that are designed for longer throws? I think a Benq 6100 makes a smaller image at that distance. Are there others?

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
649 Posts
njmurvin...

Honestly, I'm not sure about other projectors and throw length. I think a mean average is 1.5, though (my x1 is 2x the screen and it's zoomed out pretty much). What would the possibility be of putting a cross-beam above the couch that extends from the two side walls? It might not look bad, especially if there are a couple more to match (I know some vaulted ceilings that have this). It's normally kind of a rustic style, but it could be incorporated with about any decor. Then you could just mount right to the bottom of the cross-beam.

Aside from that, though, you could always do an in-house test of the x1 (30 day trial from infocus) and put it right at the back wall and just see, firsthand, how the picture looks at that size.

I'm all for free trials when they are available.

JJ

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.