AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've already searched the forums, but I'd like to hear your judgment.

My A/V sources (computer, etc.) are on one side of a 20'-wide living room with 15'-high ceilings. Right now I have an Epson 2150 sitting on a chair on that side, centered, projecting a good 12'-wide picture on the opposite wall, and I'm happy with the result. But I am renovating, and I don't want a projector on a chair in front of the fireplace anymore.

Mounting it centered on the A/V side is not visually desirable at any height. I'm considering these alternatives:

a) Ceiling-mount the projector on the opposite wall, 15' high, projecting towards the A/V wall.

PRO: Horizontally centered.
CON: 50' long cable run through wall (can't do conduits), probably HDMI-over-Cat6; some vertical shift; projector is physically inaccessible without climbing a 15' ladder.

b) Put a projector with horizontal lens shift (e.g. Epson 5040UB) on a shelf in the A/V corner, projecting at the opposite wall with 50% horizontal (no vertical) shift.

PRO: Avoids long cable run and signal conversion; easy manual access to projector when needed.
CON: Maximum horizontal shift.

So I like the corner projector idea for its simplicity, but I don't have a feel for how well that much horizontal shift would work in practice, and whether I'm worrying needlessly about the potential headaches of the HDMI-over-Cat6-mounted-15'-high scenario.

Any input would be much appreciated!

For what it's worth, I'm going to be using this with 1080p input, mostly computer, some gaming, some desktop work, so pixels matter more than just for movies (e.g. software keystone correction blurs edges badly). Extreme lag (>100ms) would also be bad, but I haven't seen anything about cable length or HDMI conversion being a factor in that, correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
If you are opening your walls, running at least 2 CAT 6 cables (or cat7) and a HDMI over fiber cable makes the most sense right now. HDMI over fiber should be rated for 18Gb/s video support (HDMI 2.0) so you can upgrade to true 4K down the road. I don't think you have much worry with cabling distance, but make sure to run some spare cables.

Using MAX lens shift is a bad idea as it can degrade the image a bit as you work towards the edges of the lens elements. Epson certainly does push things all the way to the edges as well. So, I would be sure to bring it a bit closer. 50% really just puts the projector at the edge of the screen. The installation goal should be to be 10% away from any max position in my experience, this helps ensure a quality on screen image. Though, the projector design should maintain quality throughout the zoom and lens shift range.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Although max horizontal lens shift isn't recommended, I've used it on an Epson ProCinema 800, Epson HC1080 and Epson 5020UB, and I don't notice any loss of quality even if there is any.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Any input would be much appreciated!

For what it's worth, I'm going to be using this with 1080p input, mostly computer, some gaming, some desktop work, so pixels matter more than just for movies (e.g. software keystone correction blurs edges badly). Extreme lag (>100ms) would also be bad, but I haven't seen anything about cable length or HDMI conversion being a factor in that, correct me if I'm wrong.

I can't visualize your room. Any chance you could post a picture ?

It sounds to me like having a projector 15' up would be real pain, in addition to need a projector with an unusually large amount of vertical lens shift to get the image down to a reasonable height. Still, I would choose horizontally centered rather than offset. Vertical lens shift projectors seem more common to me than those with significant horizontal lens shift. Running these cables to a particular location is going to be a lot of work, and limiting your future projector choices to those with huge horizontal lens shift is a bad idea IMHO.

Beyond that, it sounds like you might be planning on projecting onto the same wall as where your AV equipment sits and that is a bad idea because it leaves you staring at blinking lights on the equipment in your peripheral vision. Ideally, AV equipment goes on a side wall or behind you with IR repeaters or wifi/bluetooth so you don't need to point a remote at the gear. That usually results in the shortest HDMI cable runs and least distracting position.

Is wall mounting rather than ceiling or "chair" mounting a possibility ? Is this house on a slab foundation or is running cables through the floor possible to reduce cable lengths ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't visualize your room. Any chance you could post a picture ?
Considering that the projector will only get occasional use, wall-mounting a hefty projector would be too conspicuous in a living room with large empty walls like this. Other more preferable options are also hindered by the general seating layout of the room (fireplace, windows, etc.), hence my two poorly constrained alternatives.

I could run cables under the floor, assuming floor heating doesn't hurt, but it doesn't save that much length.

The room and the two setups look like this (attachment):

Attachments

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Considering that the projector will only get occasional use, wall-mounting a hefty projector would be too conspicuous in a living room with large empty walls like this. Other more preferable options are also hindered by the general seating layout of the room (fireplace, windows, etc.), hence my two poorly constrained alternatives.

I could run cables under the floor, assuming floor heating doesn't hurt, but it doesn't save that much length.

The room and the two setups look like this (attachment):
It was actually the arrangement of fireplace, windows and seating that I couldn't visualize. :D I hoping for actual photos showing those.

If the AV in your drawing is where it is because it is to the side of a fireplace and you don't think mounting a projector above a fireplace is a good idea, you might be right. Although it would not be unheard of to have a curio shelf or plant shelf at 8'-10' with such a high ceiling, and HDMI cable along with power could go up the wall inside and then out of the wall and across hidden by the shelf. Mounting to the underside of a shelf using a mount is no different than mounting to a ceiling. Even mounting directly with screws through holes through the shelf into the projector mounting holes is easy -- you just use a few rubber washers at each mounting screw so you have some adjustment of pitch and yaw.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha, sorry. I don't have photos beyond a bare room and pending architecture plans, but yes, that's where the fireplace is, next to the AV cabinet. I've been torn about which side to project on, especially because the architect needs to know whether I want to expand the fireplace breast (chimney protrusion) to make a bigger screen, or keep it narrow to make the corner projector shelf closer to the center.

Thank you for the feedback, all. I'll mull this over a bit more, but that's helpful. I'm still leaning towards the corner projector with max horizontal shift for now to avoid the cabling/mounting complexity, but I might put in a conduit for the future anyway.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
Ha, sorry. I don't have photos beyond a bare room and pending architecture plans, but yes, that's where the fireplace is, next to the AV cabinet. I've been torn about which side to project on, especially because the architect needs to know whether I want to expand the fireplace breast (chimney protrusion) to make a bigger screen, or keep it narrow to make the corner projector shelf closer to the center.

Thank you for the feedback, all. I'll mull this over a bit more, but that's helpful. I'm still leaning towards the corner projector with max horizontal shift for now to avoid the cabling/mounting complexity, but I might put in a conduit for the future anyway.
Ah, OK. Well, seating arrangement is your first decision then. I would avoid having a screen covering the fireplace. Really, the heat from a fireplace is not good for electronics or screen materials. I also would not plan on sitting more than 1x diagonal away from the screen wall. If you place the screen on the wall opposite the fireplace you will have your back to the fireplace with maybe 6'-7' between the back of the seats and the fireplace. That might be tight for anything but a couple of chairs to enjoy the fireplace, but gives you the additional option of setting the projector on a table there if you really expect only occasional use.

Having the screen on the third wall so the fireplace and AV equipment are off to the side would be my first choice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts