AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do DVI cables have to be short (a few feet) or can they be 50-100 feet or more in length without introducing bit errors.

Probably like many people, my AV equipment is in the front of the room and a projector would be in back of the room. A long cable run would be needed to get from the STB to the projector.

If DVI is for short runs, there are possible solutions. Firewire runs a long distance, so one option would be to use a firewire to DVI converter box (assuming they will be made). This would move the digital video within a short distance of the projector.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Usually, 5 to 10 meters. I've heard of 25 meters with high quality drivers and cables.

------------------

Alex

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Btw, firewire doesn't have the bandwidth. Maybe the new 1394b.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by work permit:
Usually, 5 to 10 meters. I've heard of 25 meters with high quality drivers and cables.
25 meters should be enough for my situation assuming high quality does not mean exponential increase in cost

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by work permit:
Btw, firewire doesn't have the bandwidth. Maybe the new 1394b.
Firewire would not need the bandwidth for uncompressed video. 5C would be run at 20 Mbps or so to the projector. At the projector, we will probably be able to buy a cheap box that does nothing but takes in 5C and put out DVI that then runs into the projector.

This assumes that the STB has a 5C output which many people claim they will have.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts

Quote:
This assumes that the STB has a 5C output
Understood

------------------

Alex

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.