AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what the maximum practical length would be for component video running over RG6 with RCA connectors. I want to run 1080i about 50 feet. Will this be a problem?

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have run it over 130 ft. without a problem. You need to use a good RG-6 solid copper center conductor by Belden or Comscope.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What's the best way to provide the audio that accompanies the

video signal at 130ft?

I can see a few possibilities, each with their own drawbacks:

1. speaker wire -- requires that the amp be controlled from

the remote location, might have a conflict with watching

two things at once in the different locations depending

on the amp and the setup

2. line level audio -- how far can this go? if the amp/device

only outputs stereo at line level then that's all you get

at the remote location

3. coax digital -- this is probably the best bet, can get 6

channel sound to the remote location and just amplify

it there

4. toslink digital -- the connectors might be tricky and not

sure what the max distance is, but probably less than 130 ft

This was my first post, hope it works. :)

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
Speaker wire would probably be your best bet. For line level audio, you'd need them to be balanced, which can be expensive. I doubt you'd get the coax digital that far without alot of defects. You'd need an inline repeater to get the optical digital that far. You could also combine the audio and video using a modulator and run it all on a coax cable.

CJ

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
What's the best way to provide the audio that accompanies the video signal at 130ft?
I recommend using digital coax. I have done this for an approx. 85 ft. run using standard RG6 coax with F to RCA connectors with good results. I think I've read of others going longer than that, so 130 ft. should work ok. Good luck.

Jay

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have done many installs of greater than 75ft. Works great via componet or composite. Make sure all 3 runs are really close length wise....

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have done many installs of greater than 75ft. Works great via componet or composite. Make sure all 3 runs are really close length wise....

·
Registered
779 Posts
There needs to be a faq for this.

I have multiple long runs of component video my longest is ~120 feet.

Regarding the second question on audio, I think your best bet is to use digital audio over coax, that is what I do and I go over 120 with this too. If your equipment does not have a coax output for audio you can pick up a spdif/toslink to coax converter up at radio shack for a few bucks. It has been my experience that the you can run the digital audio over most high bandwidth video distribution amps, switches and matrix switchers. If you use a RGBs or RGBHV type switch or amp just run the digital audio over the sync ports.

Regards,

Brian

·
Registered
22 Posts
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's the best way to provide the audio that accompanies the video signal at 130ft?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote: I recommend using digital coax. I have done this for an approx. 85 ft. run using standard RG6 coax with F to RCA connectors with good results. I think I've read of others going longer than that, so 130 ft. should work ok. Good luck.

Jay"

I agree with Jay. I have used RG-6 coax with twist on connectors to F adapters for component and video cables and it works great. Go for it and save yourself a bundle. Just keep in mind that the RG-6 is larger and a lot less flexible than speaker wire. I also use different color Sharpies to color code the coax.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.