AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Channel Vision Distribution amp with a short (18") coax cable from the amp to the transformer.

Can I substitute a longer coax successfully? How long?

wayne

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Thread title edited to make more specific

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have a Channel Vision Distribution amp with a short (18") coax cable from the amp to the transformer.

Can I substitute a longer coax successfully? How long?

wayne
I am running 25' feet of RG-6 cable to a 3414 & it works fine. Not sure what the maximum would be, but can't image 50 or maybe up to 100 feet would still be fine with RG-6.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Not sure what the maximum would be, but can't image 50 or maybe up to 100 feet would still be fine with RG-6.
You meant .... can't imagine why 50 or maybe up to 100 feet wouldn't be fine. Right? 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx, Digital Rules.

I knew what you meant in your first reply.

This device is about 15 years old but hasn't been used in 5-10 years. The cable doesn't have any making but, from the thickness, it appears to be RG 59. I have some RG 59 around; so I'll give that a try since I'm only looking at maybe 10'.

wayne

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
RG59 is fine. At 10', there should be no worries.

·
Super Moderator
18,459 Posts
Voltage drops over distance. The amount depends a lot on the cabling. The maximum length depends on the voltage drop your amp will tolerate before it fails. If it can't handle a ten-footer, it's time to drop it off at the electronics recycling center. I have two: one operates with only inches between it and the wall wart and the other one's about 30-feet away. Easy-peasy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts