AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on their experience with a 120 inch screen and the Panasonic PT AE 3000 projector.

I am trying to determine if the Projector can effectively handle a Grandview120 inch white screen 1.0 gain. (or similar).

·
Registered
41 Posts
 http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

It depends. If you use the shortest possible throw, you'll squeak in with a watchable brightness (19Fl) in a completely dark room. (assuming of course that your calibration settings get you what the calculator is assuming for brightness)

Some people are happy with that level of brightness. I think I would find it too dim.

Steve

·
Registered
21,004 Posts
Art's Projector Reviews gives these numbers -

Quote:
Cinema 1= 402 @ 6519K

Cinema 2= 391 @ 7021K

Cinema 3= 422 @ 8051K

Normal= 936 @ 8646K

Dynamic= 1144 @ 7455K, 1261 at full zoom out, 760 at full zoom in

Color 1= 461 @ 6742K

Color 2= 539 @ 7457K
http://www.projectorreviews.com/pana...erformance.php

402 lumens on a 120" screen of unity gain gives you only 9.5 foot lamberts to begin with. Way too low.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys, one follow up question.

The AE3000 brightness doubles when operating in "normal mode". Given that I would almost exclusively use it for movie watching, Should I use the brightness values from the Cinema modes instead?

(would your recommend watching movies in normal mode)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I haven't seen the AE3000, but generally the cinema modes give the best color balance for movies on most projectors. You may want to consider a smaller screen, a gain screen, or both.

·
Registered
990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skellington /forum/post/17035546

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...ulator-pro.cfm

It depends. If you use the shortest possible throw, you'll squeak in with a watchable brightness (19Fl) in a completely dark room. (assuming of course that your calibration settings get you what the calculator is assuming for brightness)

Some people are happy with that level of brightness. I think I would find it too dim.

Steve

I guess I am one of those dim loving people then. My HD70 in low bulb mode, is about 16FL at 12'6" from the 100" diag 16:9 screen, cinema mode. Dark room, and I am completely happy with the brightness. But I don't know if the calculator online assumes the projector is at it's max brightness? Regardless, I am happy with the brightness of my 1.0 gain screen with bulb in low, cinema mode, at 100". And the AE3000 is brighter.

If I had the AE3000, then my same 100" screen based on that calculator would be 21FL.

So with the AE3000 giving 19FL at 120" 16:9 1.0 gain at 11'10" away. I would be more than happy. It would be a bigger and brighter image than I have now.

Anyway, just not sure I agree with 19FL being dim and barely watchable. At least in a dark room.

Sure, if you don't have light control... it's a huge issue. But if you can black out the room in broad day light like I have, then I see the AE3000 as a great unit at 120" 16:9 1.0 gain image size.

I am thinking of getting the AE3000, though I like my DLP and would like to stick with DLP. But my next setup will be a CIH 1080p setup with no HE lens. So far it looks like the AE3000 is my only option for that type of setup.

·
Registered
21,004 Posts

Quote:
I haven't seen the AE3000, but generally the cinema modes give the best color balance for movies on most projectors. You may want to consider a smaller screen, a gain screen, or both.

Agree on all points.

I don't recommend using Projector Cental's screen calculator as a tool for screen brightness. You need real numbers from a qualifed reviewer and a screen calculator. The PC calculator doesn't say how many lumens they are basing the estimates on - torch mode? Cinema 1 mode?

Email me if you need an Excel screen calculator and I'll send you one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts