AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the largest screen size actually in use by current X1 owners? How far is pj from screen? How far is seating from screen? Quality of image? Thanks.

· Registered
62 Posts
My screen size is around 72" diagonal (16x9 mode)

projector distance is about 12-12.5 feet

viewing distance is 14-14.5 feet.

Excellent image on an antique white wall.

Pixel structure not noticeable at that viewing distance for me, but

if I move 2-3 feet closer I can start to see it.

Terence.

· Registered
807 Posts
90" diabonal 4:3 (72 x 54) -- I sit ~ 1.7 times the screen width and if I see pixel structure, I've decided it's not a problem. only see pixel structure on captions / graphics.

using a piece of parkland plastic as a screen, it's bright enough that I could go larger but the room won't allow it -- I'm zoomed in as close as I can get, the screen is ~ 11' from the projector lens. my room is light controlled.

Mark

· Registered
66 Posts
I would think 100" is on the limit ... At that distance anyways.. I've got a 65" horizontal screen from 12' and I can't imagine a bigger screen.. It would show the pixel structure!

· Registered
126 Posts
I've got about a 100" screen and I sit about 14 feet back... only notice the picture structure on subtitles, etc. I'm sensitive to screendoor (sent my Z1 back cuz of this) and I don't notice it at all. If I get closer I start to see it.. I think the very slight defocusing trick works.

Hooked up dreamcast yesterday through Svideo connection.. games looks GREAT!

· Registered
382 Posts
ChaCha-

This is a pretty subjective question- for me, I could never go 100" in 4:3 or 16:9 with the X1 from 12'. At that distance screendoor/pixelization become an issue. Jackman11, however, seems to be fine with 100" at 14' (diagonal? 4:3?). My wife has never noticed screendoor at any size we have tried (72"-90" 16:9)! I hope you can go as big as you want with no issues. ;)

· Registered
1,293 Posts
I don't get why people still measure by the diagonal once it gets this big and you have 4:3 and 16:9 in the mix :rolleyes:

Mine is 8 feet wide, projector about 16 feet away and seating about 12 feet away, you can do your own math :p

· Registered
312 Posts
I agree with you Rob. I have asked many questions on this forum pertaining to screen size and of the responses I received, not sure if they were the diagonal or horizontal measurement.

So, in my responses to others questions, I am specific as to exactly what the measurement is.

With that in mind, I am projecting an 80" wide 16:9 image on a Parkland screen. Plenty bright for me. I would guess I could go even wider without much of a problem.

patrick

· Registered
107 Posts
I got a 94inch wide 16x9 ultrawhite wallboard screen sprayed with Krylon crystal-clear matte finish after a slight sanding with 220 grit and I think it looks great... My first screen was a white matte 4x3 that was 80 inches across and it looked good to me also. I keep my HT room very dark.

· Registered
126 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Roto
I don't get why people still measure by the diagonal once it gets this big and you have 4:3 and 16:9 in the mix :rolleyes:

Mine is 8 feet wide, projector about 16 feet away and seating about 12 feet away, you can do your own math :p
this is true.. so to clarify mine, it's basically the same set up.. except I sit about 14 feet away.

· Registered
1,293 Posts
Hurrah! Down with the diagonal! :D It was all just an evil plot by tv salesmen because it's the longest dimension to measure a screen by. ;)

· Registered
1,319 Posts
I don't know why some people limit the x1 to 100" diagonal. The x1 is a very bright projector! 500 actual lumens is a lot. Especially if you compare it to CRT. I have personally seen the X1 on my wall projecting about 120" diagonal 16:9. The picture still has a lot of pop to it. I think it is good to about 130" diagonal 16:9, after that, you might want to use a high gain screen. Of course, I only watch movies in complete darkness.

James

· Registered
212 Posts
I shoot the X1 on a 5' by 10' Parkland. Of course in true 16:9 it does not take up the whole width. I tried moving the projector forward and yes -- the picture got better - but only marginally to my wife and me. But the loss of "drama" going to the smaller screen was very substantial. So it moved it back. My neighbors are just blown away (even the guy who bought the 10K plasma). I went with Parkland to decide on screen size -- I'm sticking to big is better!

· Registered
1,319 Posts
where did you get the 5' x 10' Parkland? And for how much?

James

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.