AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would some of you with experience in the matter suggest as the max screen "width" for a 9" LC and DaLite High Power screen? 108"? Maybe as much as 120"?

I'm talking about retaining lots of "pop", depth and all-out image quality.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Eddie

Alot depends on the room, how black will it be?

Also if you plan on running the contrast real high, it will tend to be less sharp.

I'm running 140" wide with about 4 gain and I'm able to keep the contrast pretty low, with a high power you could probably run it at normal contrast and get what you want with a 120" screen.

Deron.

·
Premium Member
17,325 Posts
How many ft lamberts do you want?

Do you want the screen gain to provide the same ftL that the 9" would give on a 108" matte screen?

Color shift and hotspotting get VERY noticeable on a 120" screen, regardless of measured light.

How large is your room? How many seats do you have? How wide are your rows? Or are you only concerned about the captains chair?

Are you also considering/including torus?

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey you guys are asking me newbie questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deronmoped /forum/post/0

Eddie

Alot depends on the room, how black will it be?

Also if you plan on running the contrast real high, it will tend to be less sharp.

I'm running 140" wide with about 4 gain and I'm able to keep the contrast pretty low, with a high power you could probably run it at normal contrast and get what you want with a 120" screen.

Deron.

Of course the room will be light controlled. :p

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Klohs /forum/post/0

Hi,

is the High Power the right screen for you ?

You have to be very close to the light source to reap its full benefits which usually means a floor mount.

Oliver

Yep, I have a ~90" wide high power right now and am familiar with it's characterestics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarence /forum/post/0

How many ft lamberts do you want?

Do you want the screen gain to provide the same ftL that the 9" would give on a 108" matte screen?

Color shift and hotspotting get VERY noticeable on a 120" screen, regardless of measured light.

How large is your room? How many seats do you have? How wide are your rows? Or are you only concerned about the captains chair?

Are you also considering/including torus?

I want enough ft lamberts to enjoy watching the movies.

I've had a 118" wide matte screen and was happy enough with the picture.. but it definately lacked "pop".

Will color shift get a lot worse at 120" wide vs 90" wide?

The room I'm looking at right now could be 15'x23'. I do only care about the sweet spot chair (and the spot next to it).

·
Registered
2,655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ Eddie /forum/post/0

Hey you guys are asking me newbie questions.

Yep, I have a ~90" wide high power right now and am familiar with it's characterestics.

I want enough ft lamberts to enjoy watching the movies.

I've had a 118" wide matte screen and was happy enough with the picture.. but it definately lacked "pop".

Will color shift get a lot worse at 120" wide vs 90" wide?

The room I'm looking at right now could be 15'x23'. I do only care about the sweet spot chair (and the spot next to it).

Don't worry, the first newbie question was from you so we tried to stay on the level

If you already have a High Power the answer for you is sooo easy:

Just pull back the Marquee to where it would project a 120" image and see how you like it - after all you still project 2/3ds of the picture on the High Power.

As color shift really comes from there being a distance between the red and the blue gun relative to the screen it can only get better - as for the brightness you are now spoiled so better look for yourself. In absolute measurements you should be able to get 8 to 20 ft-lambert depending on the contrast setting (the higher one being about equal to a G90 with contrast at 80) with even the low number being quite good and probably more than others get.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Eddie, I use a 92" wide 16/9 with an XG 1351 lc on a high floor mount.

Forget even thinking about ceiling mounting this setup unless the PJ is basically on top of your coconut or behind you firing over you. The most off center (axis) that you can go is about 2 feet without losing too much gain. If you can muster this arangement then you'll feel sorry for the rest of the low gainers that go goo and gah

This is a real single man's type of setup (exactly center) with no hottspotting and severe color shift if sitting off to either side

Of interest, William P. uses a 133" HP with those bulb machines BTW

Regards

David

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Eddie

My instinct is 90" to 100" wide; the tubes will decline some with age.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. FYI my current room has only 12' depth to work with. I'm just wishbooking future possible home theaters.

Tim, 96" wide has been mentioned in the past with 1.3 gain screens. Are your numbers conservative? The high power screen has gain upwards of 3.0. My current 90" width has contrast set at 35. I'm just wondering if that is your assumed max width for high power screens, or if you were talking about the typical 1.3 screen?

·
Premium Member
1,816 Posts
Shouldnt scanlines be an issue when looking at max width and seating distance?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Eddie

Light controlled is not good enough, not unless you mean you are controlling the light coming off the screen too. Everyone knows that white walls will effect the screen even if the room has no outside light coming in, I just think that not everyone knows how much better they can get it covering everything with black velvet.

Deron.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only screen wall and first part of ceiling would be velvet. Carpet would be some type of dark grey or similar, while side walls, most of the ceiling and rear walls will just be a dark paint color. Just like my last place had it.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Having velvet around the screen is a way cool effect, makes the image appear to be floating in outer space.

Deron.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Arghh.. the realtor just let me know the house was sold the night before I was to go and start paperwork (today!). It was the perfect h/t floorplan so this kind of sucks. It is VERY difficult to find a house with a great h/t floorplan!!

At least in my area and budget.

Deron... you're absolutely right. So many people spend time working on picture quality and forget all about viewing quality. Black velvet on the screen wall is the single best improvement in viewing quality IMO.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Do you guys cover the whole wall in velvet; or are you talking about a small border around the screen say 2-4" thick

·
Registered
639 Posts
Do you think the velvet wall would still be worth it if the entire theater room was painted a flat black; Where do you get the velvet; I've never had luck finding large pieces within my budget, OK I'm cheap

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I was getting my velvet off A-1 Fabric Inc. in NY, I think I found him on e-bay. I bought a bolt of 10 yard cotton for $80.00 and a synthetic bolt of 45"X30 yards for $240.00. I remember this being a hell of a deal as compared to prices in town.

What I would like to find now is black velvet carpet, I have a regular black carpet, but I see way too much light coming off it from the screen. Everywhere I have the black velvet it's totally black and that makes the black carpet not so black.

One thing I found out is the velvet will be blacker layed in one direction then the other.

Deron.

Deron.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hi guys,

My HT is getting very close now.

Here's a pic of the screen frame (I need to remove some elements as they would obstruct audio from the speakers behind):

The size right now is 5m x 2m (16.4 ft). I will set up my two blended Marquees for 2.40 AR as big as possible and would scale down depending on light output.

I've built this so big as eventually... years ahead, there would be a bright enought PJ with CRT qualities that can light up my dream screen.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.