AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought it would be best here as it's not specific to any one projector, and not strictly related to screens.

I have a Sony HW10 on the way in the next few weeks, and I'm moving my AV gear into a larger room to accommodate it.

It's a 14x9 room, so not the largest around, but should be good for at least a 100" image, so the screen should be approx. 8" from the wall at the left, and 16" on the right. (unfortunately it can't go any closer to the wall on the right so it won't be centred unless I go with a much smaller screen)

I'm going to be getting screen samples from various companies to see what material I like best, but I'm also wondering about decorating the room.

I have no restrictions on what I can do to the room as far as decoration goes, so the plan is to black it out as best as I can (window film & blackout blind) and then go with a black carpet and painting the walls/ceiling black.

The room is mainly going to be used for HT, so it doesn't matter how it looks when the lights are on, so having it all blacked out isn't a concern.

I'm wondering though; what is the best way to maximise image contrast in the room?

Obviously total light control and painting it black will help, but black paint is still probably going to reflect a fair bit of light, especially on the left hand side where it's closer to the wall. (unfortunately the window is pretty close to the screen there as well)

I'm considering putting fabric on the walls as well. If I am going to do that would I need to cover the whole room, or are the main benefits to be had by covering, say, a meter or so out from the wall around the screen?

Is there anything I haven't thought of yet that could be done?

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
My opinions after doing my batcave theater:

Dark colors + low sheen + high surface area on materials = best light absorption. Black paint (matte) is the best bang for the buck on walls/ceiling. Black paint will reflect light, and the next level is "cloth" of some sort. If you are doing acoustic treatments, then cloth is likely on the list anyway. Doing cloth a yard out from the screen on walls/ceiling is going to give you a nice frame and most of the benefits if the rest of the room is black anyway. Be aware of the sheen on all materials. Many carpets, regardless of color, have a sheen that is visible in low lighting conditions. I would be more concerned with sheen rather than "black" (would take brown + low/no sheen vs black with sheen). Be aware of any in-room light sources - surprisingly to me, the tiniest amount of light is noticeable in my bat cave. Any equipment in the room that has visible LED or other lights on it will pollute the room. I taped over the LED indicators on my powered subs because even behind the screen wall they were reflecting light back there. The only other powered equipment in my room is the PJ - the rest of the equipment is in a different room.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/15516110

Wasn't sure where to post this, so I thought it would be best here as it's not specific to any one projector, and not strictly related to screens.

I have a Sony HW10 on the way in the next few weeks, and I'm moving my AV gear into a larger room to accommodate it.

It's a 14x9 room, so not the largest around, but should be good for at least a 100" image, so the screen should be approx. 8" from the wall at the left, and 16" on the right. (unfortunately it can't go any closer to the wall on the right so it won't be centred unless I go with a much smaller screen)

I'm going to be getting screen samples from various companies to see what material I like best, but I'm also wondering about decorating the room.

I have no restrictions on what I can do to the room as far as decoration goes, so the plan is to black it out as best as I can (window film & blackout blind) and then go with a black carpet and painting the walls/ceiling black.

The room is mainly going to be used for HT, so it doesn't matter how it looks when the lights are on, so having it all blacked out isn't a concern.

I'm wondering though; what is the best way to maximise image contrast in the room?

Obviously total light control and painting it black will help, but black paint is still probably going to reflect a fair bit of light, especially on the left hand side where it's closer to the wall. (unfortunately the window is pretty close to the screen there as well)

I'm considering putting fabric on the walls as well. If I am going to do that would I need to cover the whole room, or are the main benefits to be had by covering, say, a meter or so out from the wall around the screen?

Is there anything I haven't thought of yet that could be done?

Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.

This stuff is on sale today:

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Madonn...VVviewprod.htm

If you search the forum for "Madonna", you will come acress more info on it, including lovingdvd's thread detailing how he treated his room using this material.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by usualsuspects /forum/post/15518648

My opinions after doing my batcave theater:

Dark colors + low sheen + high surface area on materials = best light absorption. Black paint (matte) is the best bang for the buck on walls/ceiling. Black paint will reflect light, and the next level is "cloth" of some sort. If you are doing acoustic treatments, then cloth is likely on the list anyway. Doing cloth a yard out from the screen on walls/ceiling is going to give you a nice frame and most of the benefits if the rest of the room is black anyway. Be aware of the sheen on all materials. Many carpets, regardless of color, have a sheen that is visible in low lighting conditions. I would be more concerned with sheen rather than "black" (would take brown + low/no sheen vs black with sheen). Be aware of any in-room light sources - surprisingly to me, the tiniest amount of light is noticeable in my bat cave. Any equipment in the room that has visible LED or other lights on it will pollute the room. I taped over the LED indicators on my powered subs because even behind the screen wall they were reflecting light back there. The only other powered equipment in my room is the PJ - the rest of the equipment is in a different room.

Thanks for the advice. Hadn't really thought about that with the carpetI'll have to look out for it.

After seeing a comparison between black paint and velvet, I'm definitely going to cover the walls in it now.

Good advice with the LEDsI've already got mine all covered up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd /forum/post/15518877

This stuff is on sale today:

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Madonn...VVviewprod.htm

If you search the forum for "Madonna", you will come acress more info on it, including lovingdvd's thread detailing how he treated his room using this material.

Thanks, searching for that came up with some useful information. As I'm in the UK (figured I'd get some help here as well as more UK oriented sites anyway) I'm not sure I can get that "Madonna" fabricor at least not at a reasonable pricebut I did come across a recommendation from Mark_H for one I can get in the UK in lovingdvd's topic.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts