AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just cleaning up my cable nest in the back of my system. A question popped in mind. "I am I maximizing the use of my Receiver to control this system?" My system is as follows.

Sony 333es which includes S video for all video sources, a single digital coax and a single optical input.

I will try to indicate how I currently have things setup. Let me know what I may be able to change to simplify switching, improve performance ETC.!

Audio receiver: Sony 333es

Audio/video source Pioneer 333 dvd player. I have component video running out of the player to the television for DVD and I also have the digital coax running out the receiver for audio.

Video sources: General Instruments Digital cable box. I run component video of the cable box into my Replay TV. Out of Replay Tv I run S-video to the television and component audio to the receiver. So to watch Television the receiver setting is on TV/Sat.

VCR: From here I run an additional S-video out of the Replay TV into the VCR. From VCR to television via coax(temporarily though I play to upgrade this run to s-video when budget allows for decent 10 foot length of cable). So to watch VCR I have to switch the television to video 1 and the receiver to video 1.

I think I have this system setup as best I can. But since I am not using many connections out of the receiver I'm wondering if there is a more efficient method of setup than what I have now?

Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
994 Posts
In general, maximizing receiver control means routing both video and audio from all sources to the receiver, and then running a single output to the TV (or if the receiver can't convert video formats, a single output of each type, i.e. S & component). But you risk some degradation of the video signal by running it to the receiver. So simplifying operation and maximizing performance are conflicting objectives.

It's a matter of personal (or group) preference. I run all my video sources directly to the TV (and directly to the VCR, if if it's a source I want to tape). For DSS/TIVO and the VCR, I also run audio to the audio system and to the TV. For those two sources, I have the option of using the audio system, or just using the TV's speakers. (I don't really care about using the audio system to watch the news for example.)

The down side of my approach is that I've got more of a rat's nest of cables and more money invested in cables than I would need if I centralized control in the audio system. And it means switching sources at the TV and the audio system when I select the source to play. It's more cumbersome to operate, but it gets me the last bit of performance from each source.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will,

Hey thank you for the reply. I am not looking to degrade my picture. So I am willing to deal with the rat's nest of cables in my system.

I thank you for the explanation. This lets me know that I am on the right track with what I would like to accomplish with my system.

This is why god made universal remotes with Macros:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.