AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 ft. is about the maximum for the stanfard 1.25" thin-wall mast and typical mounts. Maybe you could get away with more in fair weather, but if you want it to stay in place when loaded with snow in windy conditions, stick with 5 ft.

If you use a separate ground rod, it is VERY IMPORTANT that it be connected to the main house electrical ground with a stout (#6 copper if I remember correctly) wire. Otherwise, you run the risk that, if there is a lightning strike in the area, the two grounds will be at different voltage potential levels -- not a good thing for your equipment.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
247 Posts
Barryo

I have some #6 copper that I can use. Rather than a seperate ground, would it be better to just use the Electrical ground, I think I can find it outside the box since had 200 amp installed. Ground it anywhere on the mast, I assume?

If I used a bigger mast 2" gavanized, say, could I go higher?

Thanks for the reply Bill

------------------

Cranial Nerve II With control by III, IV, and VI

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Grounding to the existing ground is the best, unless it would result in a very long and circuitious path for the grounding conductor. At my house, since the Dishes are mounted on the south side, and the electrical service entrance is on the north side, I mounted a separate ground directly underneath the dishes. I then tied the two together with a #6 wire.

Attaching anywhere on the mast is fine.

Even with alarger diameter mast, the torque imposed on the chimney mount and the chimney by the antenna and rotor at the top of a 10' mast would worry me -- I've tried something like that in the past. OTOH, if you were willing to put up guy wires, it would work great.

------------------

You have a right to install OTA and dish antennas on property under your control.

See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html

·
Registered
247 Posts

Greetings,

Well its back to the future! I can remember my dad throwing up a 20+ foot mast with a winegard rotar on our roof peak in about 1960 trying to get the Chicago Channels. Here I was as a Kid helping hold and position the damn thing so he string the six wires--looked like a copter trying to take off and never did get chicago, so he eventually took it down.

Now, with my new remote CM 9521 rotar, CM 9064 chimney mtg, CM 7777 preamp, (all from Stark) and a Ratshack 160xr(I think) Ant--currently residing in the attic--its now my turn to try for Chicago and Madison, since Beercity still only has 2HD channels up (PBS @ 8, and NBC at 28, the reason for the UHF/VHF Ant)..seperate issue see:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/004385.html or http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum20/HTML/004107.html

Two questions:

1) I have been told that 5 feet is maximum mast height w/o guy wires. I could use RS 5 foot mast plus 18 inches for rotar mast. Can I, is it safe, and will wobble be a major problem with 10 foot mast unguyed and approx 18 inches rotar mast, using the chimmney mount (Chimney 3plus feet high)?

2) Plan on ground break of rg-6 (regular,not quad shield) at house and seperate Aluminum ground wire from mast, both to 5foot deep cooper ground rod. Is the seperate antenna mast ground neccesary-desirable and any particular place to ground on mast or will any place be ok?

I currently get a 6plus signal from Madison and Chicago with antenna in attic, not oriented in either direction but rather towards the two Milwaukee stations, so I have a slim, hopefully not none, chance of either south from Chicago or west from Madison. Got a Mits 65905 and a 55903 and a Mits STB,,TW cable, and Sat. Any help or other advice, please accept thanks in advance.

Bill

The trouble with learning from experience is that the test comes

first and the lesson afterwards.

Text

------------------

Cranial Nerve II With control by III, IV, and VI

[This message has been edited by Bill Schmeling (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've seen 5' mentioned as a maximum, however you can go higher if you engineer it right. I think 5' is assuming that you are mounting on a 3' tripod which isn't stable enough to support a longer mast. I currently have my antenna attached to a 20' telescoping mast which is extended to 15' and has 10' of it's length extending above my roofline. The lower 5' is attached to the side of my house with 2 brackets securing the bottom, and 2 brackets attached 5' up from the bottom. I also used extra long lag bolts. This antenna isn't going anywhere and has stood firmly thru at least 1 nor'easter. The installation looks very clean without the guy wires.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Bill,

You can have it as tall as you want without guywires if engineered right. I can figure it out for you but I have to know certain parameters, i.e. height, antenna size, max wind gust you experience in your area.

But, this is already figured out for you. Just drive around your home town, preferably an area with the same building height and natural terrain, etc and have a look out for ground or building mounted flag poles, typically standard steel pipes are used. Assuming you find the height you like, note the size of the flag and make a visual comparison to the antenna you will be using. Then, copy the pole's construction. If you do it this way, your antenna is more likely to break apart at very high winds before you lose the mast.

I guess the next question is, how do I get my antenna on top of a 100' pole? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you have a Home Depot, Lowes etc.. nearby, they have a nice selection of pipe and poles that can be used instead of the typical masts that you see being used. These are stronger than and cheaper than 'antenna masts'.

------------------

Tom Smith

[This message has been edited by tsmit32 (edited 08-25-2001).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.