AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my Panasonic pdp finally on the way, I'm able to turn my attention to building an HTPC.

I've previously posted re: high end cases (mCubed & Stands Unique) because I don't much care for the most popular models available Stateside.

My original plan was to build an interface box that would be with the pdp and integrated, DAC, etc that would be able to serve music and video (from an onboard HD capture card) to the system from a remote equipment closet.

However, today I mused that I might be able to offload more equipment to reduce noise and heat. What cards actually need to be *in* the box that folks see in the media room? For example, is it possible to remotely connect *all* of the HDDs (I was likely to only have one for the OS onboard, anyway, and connect the others a 'la the ATech SATA case), a capture card or two and the audio card? Is there anything else that could be mounted away from the "head box"? I'm able to do this, short run, since the pdp and stereo equipment are on one wall and the equipment closet is behind their wall. (There is even a conduit already in place - 14cm diameter.)

The reason I ask is because I recall seeing a post which spotlighted a gentleman's remote location of most pieces of his PC. His was a great setup, but I cannot now locate the posting.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Why not use something like the Linkplayer2 as your head-end box and have a remote media server.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your suggestion...

I've tried several outboard solutions, including Linkplayer, D-Link. and Prismiq. However, with over 10,000 non compressed audio tracks (basically, my entire collection save my SACDs and DVD-As), 100 movies, and assorted shows, and additional 200+ movies I'm going to move to HDDs, I'm certain that I'll suffer from performance loss. The Prismiq balked at *any* file count > 5000, roughly, even seen on a P4 2.9GHz, and the Link & D-Link fared worse. If they've worked for you, I'm happy...They were three no-goes for me, though...Plus, last I checked, none handled HD material, nor TS streaming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
Why not use something like the Linkplayer2 as your head-end box and have a remote media server.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
The Linkplayer2 most certainly DOES handle HD material ;). .TS files, WM9, etc;

For a much more expensive solution, you can get a very small case and use a RAM card for the hard drive. You would still need video and audio in the card as well. And they make external PSU bricks that are dead silent. Used with a P-M chip and passive cooling you would have a silent machine. It would be expensive, and not the best performer ever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.