AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
That sounds like the same drive I put in my ReplayTV last month.

Of course, it doesn't actually use the higher speed that UDMA offers,

but that doesn't matter.

The model # for the one I installed was 4G120J6

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by edb
I should have mentioned -- I didn't buy my drive from this place,

but they have an excellent price ($157 shipped) on that drive.

See here:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/newegg/22-144-114.html

Anybody have any dealings with these folks and know if they

are reputable?
I've purchased from them before. NewEgg is a good retailer.

danwitczak,

This drive will work good for you. $157 for Maxtor 120gig with 3 year warranty is a good deal.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I figure someone knows this, but I haven't seen it laid out.

What is the relationship between the drive size and hour capacity. Is it 1 Gb to 1 Hr (extended), or something not so even?

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Standard/Extended quality = 1 gig per hour

Medium = 2 gigs per hour

High = 3 gigs per hour

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
>>$157 for Maxtor 120gig with 3 year warranty is a good deal.

Fry's in NorCal is currently running a sale aon Maxtor drives: the 120G, w/3 year warranty and pc133 ide card for $129 after $50 rebate; the 160G is $249 after $50 rebate. The 160G price is fair, but the 120G price is the lowest I've seen anywhere. And its local purchase with a 30 day return policy.

Low level formatting starts tonight . . . .

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acourvil
>>$157 for Maxtor 120gig with 3 year warranty is a good deal.

Fry's in NorCal is currently running a sale aon Maxtor drives: the 120G, w/3 year warranty and pc133 ide card for $129 after $50 rebate; the 160G is $249 after $50 rebate. The 160G price is fair, but the 120G price is the lowest I've seen anywhere. And its local purchase with a 30 day return policy.

Low level formatting starts tonight . . . .
I agree you have found the best 120 gig price around. Good find.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Excuse my ignorance but I thought there was some kind of limit to how large a drive you could put in the 2020's.

Myself, I just picked up an 80gb Maxtor (5400) for $60 after rebate from Office Depot. Now I just need to decide if I want to go with the 2 disk or single disk upgrade. Suggestions?

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The limit was largely a memory limitation based on the number of clusters on the drive. Bigger drive means more clusters, means greater memory demands, etc.

But, thanks to FlipFlop, the patch utility now lets you cut the drive into bigger clusters, meaning fewer clusters, meaning less runtime memory demand. This apparently works quite nicely, allowing people to go to the maximum of about 280 hours, even on an older machine.

So, the limit on 2020s is now the 137G IDE limit. Put two of the biggest drives you can find, and the best it can do is treat them as two 137G drives.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Keep in mind, a dual setup will stripe data across both drives... meaning no chance of removing the drives and installing in another system (to extract the MPGs). (And since the person asking had a 2020, network software obviously isn't an option.)

Personally, I have an 80G drive in my Replay and what USED to be the second drive, is now installed in my Computer so I can just do an "extract_rtv -e" for everything.

But for those just looking for space, a dual 120G solution would be QUITE fun! (And cheaper than what I paid for the dual 80G setup just 9 months ago... )

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just found a Web Site with the Maxtor 160 for $149.95. I just ordered one for my Show Stopper Upgrade. I know that I can not use the entire 160GB, but I will now have as much capacity as possible for a single drive solution.

The site is http://www.atacom.com

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by brianmcd
I just found a Web Site with the Maxtor 160 for $149.95. I just ordered one for my Show Stopper Upgrade. I know that I can not use the entire 160GB, but I will now have as much capacity as possible for a single drive solution.

The site is http://www.atacom.com
That is one heck of a good price! I went to reseller rating and atacom has a bad reputation. http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2009.html

I've got a feeling the web sight 160 gig Maxtor price quoted is an error. Let us know how you make out. Too good to believe.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm also cursious about something else. I just added a Maxtor 160 gig to my computer (Abit KG7 mo with recent bios). Even though that's a fairly new motherboard it doesn't recognize a full 160 gig hardisk. For that I needed to add a Maxtor K01PCAT133 UDMA PCI card. That card comes with a factory sealed Maxtor 160 but won't come with it when you buy from a real discount outlet.

So my question is will a showstopper recognize single drive capacity above 137 GIG when most current computers will NOT. Somehow I doubt it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I read a few pages of user comments on the reseller rating site, and there were mixed reviews. I did see quite a few negatives. I used a CC with a single use number and will not hesitate to dispute the charge if they try to yank my chain.

I am only expecting to be able to use 137GB of this drive in my ShowStopper. I did not want to deal with a multi drive configuration, but I wanted to get as much recording time as I could .

I have received a confirmation email from them already. I'll post back with the final results when I get the drive...

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Paulb
I'm also cursious about something else. I just added a Maxtor 160 gig to my computer (Abit KG7 mo with recent bios). Even though that's a fairly new motherboard it doesn't recognize a full 160 gig hardisk. For that I needed to add a Maxtor K01PCAT133 UDMA PCI card. That card comes with a factory sealed Maxtor 160 but won't come with it when you buy from a real discount outlet.

So my question is will a showstopper recognize single drive capacity above 137 GIG when most current computers will NOT. Somehow I doubt it.
No, Showstoppers can only access 137 gigs on a single drive and RTVPatch will partition a 160 gig at the 137 threshhold. The extra space can only be utilized with the 4000 series.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by toots

But, thanks to FlipFlop, the patch utility now lets you cut the drive into bigger clusters, meaning fewer clusters, meaning less runtime memory demand. This apparently works quite nicely, allowing people to go to the maximum of about 280 hours, even on an older machine.
Does the latest version of FlipFlop's patch utility optimize the drive into larger clusters automatically, or do you have to tell it to do this?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.