AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Good luck, I hope works out. I had one on order, not from that company but someone else. After a few days of not hearing from them I called and it turned out they didn't have the drive in stock. So I cancelled my order--they first put through the charge and then cancelled it, essentially giving themselves my money as part of their cash flow for a couple of days.

I bitched them out but since I have my refund I'm not gonna ream them out.

That does seem like a great price. Be aware that you'll probably need something like the maxtor K01PCAT133 UDMA PCI card to be able to access the full 160 meg. The drive, as packaged from Maxtor actually comes with the card but I doubt it will coming from that discount outlet.

I got the drive locally here from J&R for just about $200 with rebates n stuff.

edit:

My info, of course, refers to using the drive in a computer. I'm not sure what you can expect in a showstopper but if my relatively new ABIT mo & bios doesn't recongize the full 160 gig I sort of doubt a showstopper will.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have never dealt with this vendor before, but the price was too goo to pass up. I have already received an email from them with the order number. If I don't get a tracking number by Saturday I can always go to CompUSA while they still have the drive on sale for $210 ($300 - $50 MFG Rebate - $20 CompUSA Instant Rebate - $20 Mail In for an Old HD Trade In). I used a credit card with a single use number, so I am not too woried about the vendor.

From reading this forumn I realize that I can only use 137GB of the drive, but I did not want to mess with a multi drive configuration. This will max out the ShowStopper. To use the full 160GB in a PC requires the Ultra ATA133 card that Maxtor ships in the retail box.

Hope this answeres the questions so far. I will post my progress with the drive...:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well, that price must have been an error. I just went there to look and the price is now $249.95. I hope they honor your order at that lower price.

That was definitely an awesome price!

Terry

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, I ordered one last night. Has anyone heard from this company? Are they going to honor yesterday's pricing?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just got a call from them. It was indeed a typo and being a big wimp :))), I didn't feel like fighting for it so I cancelled my order.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I ordered a drive last night. This morning they called me, saying the price was a typo, and should be $249, not $149.

I cancelled the order, as they are available at CompUSA at $225, and other places in the same area.

Don't order from these guys.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yep, these guys left a message for me also. I called them and cancelled my order if the price is $249

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They called and left me a message on my work voice mail. Claimed that the price was a typo and that I could only have the drive at $249.95. I do not plan on calling them back. If they send me the drive I will only pay the agreed upon price and dispute anything else with the CC Company. I will also then sell the drive on EBAY and recover my cost and make a few bucks.

I have already filed a compaint with the CA Attorney General's Office.

I am going to CompUSA after work to get the drive for $209 (After Rebates).

·
Registered
971 Posts
Chances are pretty high that they just won't fill the order withiut your consent to the higher price.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something here, but if this was a legitimate mistake that they have corrected promptly, I don't see why you should expect to get a windfall and be able to sell the drive for more than you paid for it. I would see it differently if they had charged your card and then tried to cancel, or if they had the mistake up for an extended period without correction. I think it would also be a problem if they try to ship it to you and charge you the higher price without your consent. But it sounds to me like they did what they should have: they told you about the mistake and offered you the opportunity to say yes or no. It's not like you didn't have some idea that this was a mistake; after all, the 120G price was higher than the 160G price right below it.

>>They called and left me a message on my work voice mail. Claimed that

>>the price was a typo and that I could only have the drive at $249.95. I

>>do not plan on calling them back. If they send me the drive I will only

>>pay the agreed upon price and dispute anything else with the CC

>>Company. I will also then sell the drive on EBAY and recover my cost

>>and make a few bucks.

I have already filed a compaint with the CA Attorney General's Office.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well, in my case they had actually charged my credit card hours before they called me asking to back out.

And, I don't buy into the argument that "you knew it was a mistake". With CompUSA's big rebate offer on these drives (which I KNOW is legitimate), how am I supposed to know that another 60 bucks is a typo.

But I DID know it was a GREAT deal. I DID place an order. And I politely accepted their request to cancel, even though I wish they would have either fulfilled their offer, or offered to split the difference.

And they DID charge my credit card long before they called me.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Wow that would have been a good deal. The best I have seen recently was 1$/Gig on an 80Gig drive. I saw a 120Gig going for $129. Pricwatch is still showing > $1/gig with the sweetspot being 80 gig drives.

As for the company making the typo, well that's a tricky matter. If it's an honest mistake then that's one thing, if they did it on purpose just to lure you in that's another. In the first case it's really up to the individual, you can either be hardline about it or you can cut them some slack for the honest mistake. Most of these guys are small companies and if a few thousand people ordered and took the hard line stance they could be forced to close up shop(it's doubtful they could handle the cash flow crunch that would happen).

On the other hand if they did it on purpose(bait-and-switch, or to get you into their DB ...) then you would be justified in demanding they honor their offered deal. It's not like they are holding a gun to your head. Your rights as a consumer entitle you to such. An offered price and it's acceptence is a contract ... Go read the State and Federal law on business transacions, the Uniform Business Code also covers this area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Actually if you read through some of the comments on:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller2009.html

You will see that this is not the 1st time that they have used this approach. So I have no problems making some money off od them if they ship me the drive. So far they have not dinged my cc.

I have already obtained a drive from CompUSA, which included the ATA133 Controller for $209.99 (After Rebates)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.