AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In doing some searching for either a Maxtor 250 gb drive or Maxtor 320 gb drive, I found neither was available yet. However the Maxtor 5000 XT (250 gb) external USB drive is available, which uses a Maxtor 4A250J0 DiamondMax 16 ATA-133 5400 RPM drive. And the Maxtor 5000 XT is currently cheaper than the upcoming 250 gb (5A250J0) standalone drive.

So tonight I'll be trying out one of these in a ReplayTV 5040. As for the warranty, I plugged the drive serial number into the Maxtor web site and it says the warrantly runs out in 1/2006. (If there's a drive problem will Maxtor say the drive was in a 5000 XT and not honor it? I hope I don't have to find out :). )

-Gary

·
Registered
376 Posts
I've seen the 250 GB Maxtor at CompUSA for a while now... They had a sale on it for $300 after rebate... but I wasn't sure if it would work with the Replay w/o problems (since I never have swapped hard drives before, I didn't want to chance a drive that no one has really talked about)

please keep us posted on your results!

Thanks,

Leo

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I just updated my first RP (5040) with the 250GB that you get now from CompUSA (4A250J0). It works. I tried to follow Mikeyboy's advice to enable acoustic management=quiet and write-verify=on. However, amset kept reporting that there were no drives in my machine... whereas wvset worked fine. Not sure why this is, perhaps this model is one of the Quantum re-brands that don't have acoustic management?

I didn't find Mikeyboy's recommendation to leave write-verify on until 26 hours of low-level formatting had elapsed. But I put wvset on anyway. BTW, the low-level format took about 28 hours total using the included PCI card for a bus.

THe upgrade process was SO much easier than the maxtor utilities... note that the floppy that came with the drive was NOT the floppy required to do low-level formats... that has to be downloaded from Maxtor.

The upgraded disk seems to work pretty well... I do notice some occasional stuttering when viewing my rather noisy analog cable channels, but the digital channels from my STB via svideo are perfect. I may go back and turn WV off if the analog stuttering persists.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Well, I've already got 1/2 hour of Jeopardy on there at high quality. Given that, I have the following available:

at standard: 245h 11m

at medium: 117h 54m

at high: 80 h 58m

Note that Windows thinks of this drive as a 233GB drive (you know, the whole 1024=1000 thing).

Regards,

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by leobag
How much time does a 250GB drive get you?
On an empty drive with nothing setup to record and nothing already recorded:

84 hours high quality

122 hours medium quality

254 standard quality.

Upgraded two 5040's with the Maxtor 250 gb drive and all went well.

-Gary

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Ah, yes, my figures are going to reflect some other guaranteed shows.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I also got the 250 gig Maxtor and put it in my 4040 the weekend before Thanksgiving. It's been working great. I just loaded RTVpatch and plopped it in. It took me a total of 2 hours from the time I decided to get off my butt and do it until I was completely finished. This was including pulling out the Replay and the computer I was going to run the patch with, running RTVpatch for the first time, letting RTVpatch backup all my shows to the new drive, and hooking the Replay back up.

That RTVpatch ain't bad for a beta version :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm looking to upgrade my 5040 with a big of a hard drive that is affordable. I haven't gone into CompUSA yet, but searched on-line for the Maxtor 250GB and only found it for $399. Are there any Maxtor 320GB 5400rpm drives, anyone know where to buy them and how much they are going for?

Is the Maxtor USB external 250GB still for sale at CompUSA (So Calif.) now? Is the rebate still valid? How does this rebate work, buy the drive and mail in for rebate in 6 -8 weeks?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
AFAIK the 320GB drives are not out yet.

Its such an easy upgrade you don't need to spend top dollar for the biggest drive because you can always upgrade later as drive prices go down and capacities go up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.