AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Which is good for TiVo/RePlay units. If anyone is looking for something faster, NewEgg has some 80GB 7200RPM drives by Maxtor, Western Digital, and Seagate in the $104-109 range. These are OEM and I doubt they are available with any kind of rebates.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Note that faster tends to equal noisier and hotter. The WD and the Maxtor 7200 are both much louder than the Maxtor 80. The Seagate 80 is impressively quiet period, but especially for a 7200rpm drive.

Mark

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Yeah, and I noticed that NewEgg has a Special Edition WD drive about $5-10 more that is suppose to be nearly silent. Anyways, i suppose it all depends on your applications, equipment location, etc.

Still, hard drives are so cheap these days!

·
Registered
317 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Delivery now at 4 business days.

Both of the $20 off $100 coupons at coupon-codes.net are expired. (74610 and 71594.)

Good try though.

-yogaman

·
Registered
317 Posts
Must i do everything myself? (just kidding, you guys have helped me out tons.)

Check this thread out for the correct coupon codes HERE

Enjoy!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Highly recommended hard drive: Seagate Barracuda IV - it IS a bit over $100 for 80GB, but still the *quietest* 7200RPM drive on the market (~24db).

-Jeff

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jmccloud
Highly recommended hard drive: Seagate Barracuda IV - it IS a bit over $100 for 80GB, but still the *quietest* 7200RPM drive on the market (~24db).
I've always been scared off from inexpensive Seagate drives, both SCSI and IDE, because of many years of experience with them. Perhaps their IDEs have improved, but I still wonder why they only come with a 1 year warranty when Maxtor and Western Digital come with 3 years.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
I've heard great things about the Seagate 80, and it does have a three year warranty in retail form... (Watching the paper myself looking for the next sale to get one.)

Troy

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pcCinema
I've heard great things about the Seagate 80, and it does have a three year warranty in retail form... (Watching the paper myself looking for the next sale to get one.)
Thanks for the info! I just went to Seagate's site to verify and they listed it as having a 3 year warranty. I know when I was deciding on a WD or a Seagate several months ago I did the same thing and it definitely said 1 year. Wonder if they felt the competition?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.