AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone running these together, and if so, what has your experience been?

Twice (!) now, on two seperate computers, with two different Maxtor drives (one an 80GB, the other a 200GB), I have gotten numerous "delayed write error ($MSFT), data lost" errors. The last one wiped my entire drive before I could run chkdsk.

Does any of this sound familiar? I am just about to return the 200GB POS. Losing data is unacceptable.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i recently upgraded my hard drive in my HTPC to a Maxtor 160GB drive and ATA133 card. I had some trouble getting Windows XP to recognize the card while loading XP. However, once I downloaded the latest drivers for the ata card, it picked it up just fine. Go to www.maxtor.com for the drivers.

So far the drive is performing well. Although this system is far from being rock solid, there are so many other reasons it could be unstable. My most suspect addition would have to be the MYHD card and drivers. I'd say its very tempermental at best, but the HDTV picture it helps to put out is awesome.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I installed a 60 gig maxtor into my box by way of an atat133 card aswell and was cursed by error after error. First winxp couldnt find it (the card) then it did, then it couldnt find the drive - then it did as well. Then it was just not showing up at all in winxp. So I finally got it working correctly after god knows how long and then one day it just lost the data and needed to be reformated. Since then my 60 gig hd has found a place in an anti-static bag waiting for my htpc box to get in order and the ata card site on top of my computer collecting dust. My insight- atat cards/maxtor drives/win xp dun like each other. Could just be me though.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't it's just you Matt. I think the culprit may be the ATA/133 card. Unless all drives on the same channel support the 133 transfer speed, all drives have to use the "slowest" speed, which in most cases would be 100 (with newer drives). I bet the Maxtor drives can't handle that slower speed without crapping out occasionally. Sometimes XP reports the delayed write error. Other times, all your data just vanishes.

I switched the ATA card to a ATA/100. I am hoping this solves the problem, or else it gets returned. And I HATE returning things (a personal sign failure, but that's just me :D), especially since, in this case, I WON'T exchange it for an identical drive, so I will have to eat a restocking charge.

I too had a tough time getting XP to recognize that drive when I first installed it. Don't bother following the guide - the settings won't work. I am not at all sure how I finally got it to work, but it took way too long. And I have installed dozens of hard drives.

Compare that to my most recent purchase, a WD 250. Worked first time I booted up, formatted in about 60 secs and was up and functioning about 10 minutes after I cracked open the case.

Any other Maxtor horror stories out there? It seems to be a problem only when using the "free" ATA/133 card that is in the box.

·
Registered
766 Posts
I use the Maxtor 200 GB HD as a slave to my Seagate Baracuda 120 GB HD. Both are plugged directly into the Mobo. I decided to try it without the 133MHz adapter card. No problems yet.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I have a Seagate 40GB and a Maxtor 80GB HD hooked up to the ATA133 with no problems what so ever. Yes, it was the free card that came with the drive. It has been set up and running this way for about 6 months now. I also have my drives hooked up through it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dandrewk
Compare that to my most recent purchase, a WD 250. Worked first time I booted up, formatted in about 60 secs and was up and functioning about 10 minutes after I cracked open the case.
i just installed a wd250 drive yesterday--works great so far. formatting took a heck of a lot longer than 60 seconds, though (at least an hour or so). how'd you format it so fast? did you use the "data lifeguard tools" that came with it? i didn't read the instructions and formatted it with the xp disk management tools. hope i don't have problems in the future....

bob

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Diver, I've heard it said that using an ata100 instead of an ata133 will have the size >127gb problem. This problem also has been heard to affect data silently...as in write over older data once 127gb has been reached.

Darius

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have installed a Maxtor HD with 120 GB, running it as a slave to my HD in my Dell OptiPlex 260GX (OS is XP). I have not installed the ata133 card. No problems so far.

M

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob - I just used "quick format" using XP disk management tools.

The type of ATA card you use does not impact the >127GB thing. At least, it shouldn't. The only difference between ATA/100 and ATA/133 is the supposed faster transfer rate.

The Maxtor drive just lost all its data again (I had copied about 30GB of data just to see if it could hold it). Back it goes. It's worth it to eat the restocking fee just to remove this headache. I will get the WD 250, currently $249 at Frys/Outpost.

The problem may lie with using Maxtor as a slave drive on the ATA card. Maybe only on HD's larger than 127GB. Or, it may be I have just had incredible bad luck, and that despite having a Barracuda and two WD's on the same system, the Maxtor is the only one with the problem. The same thing on my older PC - a different Maxtor, the same problem.

Like I said before - a hard drive arbitrarily losing its data is unacceptable. As far as I am concerned, one strike and you're out.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Happy ending - I returned the Maxtor to CompUSA, and they didn't charge me the 15% restock fee.

I exhanged it for the WD 250, which was on sale for $229 after rebate. So I paid a (net) $35 more, and got an extra 50GB. And (hopefully) a drive I can depend on.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
It might be a bit late now, but CircuitCity has the WD 120GB 8MB cache drives on sale for $80 after rebates right now. You could pick up 3 for $240 and set up a nice raid array and not have to worry about losing data. Of course you would have to have 3 separate addresses to send the rebates to (one per household).

Russ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.