AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Saw the Maxtor 300gb 5400rmp disk at Compusa over the weekend. Very impressive capacity for arounf $350.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
4RxxxL0 drives have been available for several years. This should be the drive most 5000's shipped with. The only downside is the pathetic 1 year warranty. Drive failure is so common in PVR's that choosing one with a 3 year warranty is like getting one free.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Yum, 300gb drives :). Problem is I could buy 8 160's a lot cheaper still than 4 300's :(. Once the price points make a little more sense (or they go on sale) I'll be all over the 300s.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
CCJ,

I'd rather have 2 or 3 home made 5320's

these new drives are neat but no doubt be needlessly expensive.

I'm a cynic. I'm not even convinced they are significantly different then a standard drive.

There's a whole demographic of people lined up for a product like this. All they need to do is print out some labels. Bling Bling shnizel change clang ching!: money in the bank. Going cru-shing, cru-shing, cru-shing like my post count. It's business. Not worth the premium.

cow

·
Registered
186 Posts
Anyone know of any announcements of drives larger than 300 GB? I did a search a week or two ago and couldn't find any.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AndrewF
I thought there were 320's...
I believe the original plan was for the 5320 to ship with a single 320 GB drive, but there's no production 320 GB drive available. I'm not even sure they ever have shipped a 5032 or 5532. There's no mention of either of them (5320 or 5532) on the official ReplayTV web site.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by icecow
Bling Bling shnizel change clang ching!: money in the bank. Going cru-shing, cru-shing, cru-shing like my post count.

cow
I think we know who's been blasting that snoop dogg from the other side of the pasture!

I want you to know, and I think I speak for everycow, we're really happy for you and your post count.

Mmmooo, mmm hmmm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
these new drives are neat but no doubt be needlessly expensive.

I'm a cynic. I'm not even convinced they are significantly different then a standard drive.
It's all in the marketing. Some MBA figured out how to breathe new demand into an aging production line: target them for PVRs! Make the slower rotational speed a feature, not a liability! De-emphasize the smaller cache, lower the warranty.

Wow, I'm cynical this morning. Where's my coffee?

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it's actually more of a pain for maxtor to continue to produce 5400 drives. But... if there's a market for the product then the product will be made. Even though the DVR market size is small (weaknees getting press coverage says it's a slow news day) they want to sell as many of these as possible.

I was really curious if this was a rebandaged fireball lct drive or a new drive all together. I do know the fireball drives that ship with tivo's and replayTV's are much more quiet than the drives I've swapped in.

I'm all for a quieter drive that runs cool. 5400 vs 7200... I don't really care as long as the drive works and my shows get recorded. =)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I just upgraded to a new Diamondmax Plus 9, 7200, FDB in my 5050. Works fine but the continual noise is unbearable. Loud humm that can be heard anywhere in the room. Is this a fluke? Any chance that the Quickview 250 will be an improvement?

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ThomasH
I just upgraded to a new Diamondmax Plus 9, 7200, FDB in my 5050. Works fine but the continual noise is unbearable. Loud humm that can be heard anywhere in the room. Is this a fluke? Any chance that the Quickview 250 will be an improvement?

Thanks

Tom
Did you use "amset /quiet" on the drive before installing it in the RTV? If not, try that. (Search for more info if you don't know what "amset" is/does.)

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Quote:
I just upgraded to a new Diamondmax Plus 9, 7200, FDB in my 5050. Works fine but the continual noise is unbearable. Loud humm that can be heard anywhere in the room.
Some drives make the hum or rumble sound in a ReplayTV and some don't. Doesn't seem to matter if they're 5400 or 7200 RPM, FDB or not. (I mentioned this here a long while back when the large 7200 RPM drives first came out). You might try a shim of some kind under the 4 rubber drive mounting points (where it screws to the bottom of the case). In two of mine adding a piece of velcro under the rubber allowed for the screw to tighten down on the rubber harder and took the rumble from "hear it across the room" to "hear it if you're right next to it". :D

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by steverap
Anyone know of any announcements of drives larger than 300 GB? I did a search a week or two ago and couldn't find any.
Hitachi has a 400Gb due out sometime in the near future...

March 10, 2004 announcement link:

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/sit...viewID=content

[EDIT: corrected date of announcement]

·
Registered
59 Posts
Unless I am not looking at the site right, it looks like weaknees.com is not offering the bare drives now. Maybe they are sold out for now?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just removed the unbearably loud Maxtor 200G Diamondmax Plus 9 and tried an 80G WD 7200. The WD is almost as quiet as the original 40 Maxtor.

Is this just a lemon Diamondmax or can we expect this from all of this specific model?

Are the large Quickviews as quiet as the original 40 Quickview?

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
433 Posts
I use the same drive and can barely hear it. As a previous poster already asked, have you set AMSET to quiet? If it isn't, you should have tried that first. The sound reduction is HUGE.

Quote:
Just removed the unbearably loud Maxtor 200G Diamondmax Plus 9 and tried an 80G WD 7200. The WD is almost as quiet as the original 40 Maxtor.

Is this just a lemon Diamondmax or can we expect this from all of this specific model?

Are the large Quickviews as quiet as the original 40 Quickview?

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
I use the same drive and can barely hear it. As a previous poster already asked, have you set AMSET to quiet? If it isn't, you should have tried that first. The sound reduction is HUGE.

AMSET only reduces the seeking noise. rotational noise will be the same. (AMSET reduces the speed of the seek arm and also slows the start and stop down)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.