AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
helo everyone, I need some advise, I currently have a benq pe 7800, I recently upgraded my projector to an epson home cinema 720. However, I thought the benq only went to 1080i but it says on the specs 720. I know the epson has more lumens and contrast, my question is, do you guys feel that I made a good choice or did I waste my money to gain nothing or very little in image quality. I have a controlled light atmosphere in the cellar so lumens is pointless i'm guessing, I know my benq always had the contrast high but gave a really good reg dvd picture and a good blue ray picture. Not sure becuase i'm not used to the lcd over dlp but the benq seemed to give a better picture, im all messed up..please help..

thanks

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Your BenQ native res is 1024x576, not quite 720p but better than 480p.

DLP does provide a different feel to your image but the Epson is a good PJ; you will just need to calibrate it to let it show it's advantages. You have a true 720p machine now and even after calibration it has enough lumens left to punch up your image.

I would jump into the main thread for the Epson and read up quick so you can make a realistic decision about whether you want to keep it, if you can send it back that is.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I've personally never seen either PJ in action.

Spec-wise the BenQ will scale to accept 720p but its' native resolution is only WSVGA.

The Epson is rated at twice the brightness and five times the contrast ratio with better native resolution. Based on the specs the Epson should outperform the out of production BenQ hands down and I personally don't think it's a question of lcd versus dlp but more a matter of doing a good job of calibration of your new projector.

Without calibration tool were I you I would read carefully through the owner's manual and get familiar with the different selectable modes and adjustment menus and then start using menu options to adjust the various levels.

Again, the new PJ should give you better picture performance than your older one.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Haven't seen the Epson, but those 1024x576 units were not too shabby. I remember "upgrading" from an NEC 510 to a Panasonic 900 a few years back, and thought the Panasonic was a dog compared to the little Matterhorn DLP. You probably just like the Benq better.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Having not seen either of these but just going very general DLP vs LCD differences, my guess is that your Benq has a better ANSI contrast vs the Epson, despite the spec. The Epson and other high contrast LCDs get those numbers in a way that is not possible to produce within a single frame -- usually via a dynamic iris that opens and closes to make dark scenes darker and bright scenes brigher. So at any moment the DLP will have a higher perceived contrast although the LCD can be higher when comparing different scenes over time.

Also, whether the out of box color is to your liking or has been adjusted could matter.

What is it that you prefer about the Benq?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts