AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you remember my earlier posts, you guys won me over to the dark side but I hadn't found a projector yet.

Well, I finally did find one. It needs a little bit of work, but the price was low enough for me to afford and I think I'll end up with a nice PJ when I get done.

So, I bought myself a Marquee 8110. The green tube is basically damaged with a burnt in computer image, so I am looking for a decent but cheap used one to replace it. The red tube is good and strong. The blue one, I am not so sure about. It seems a little blurry, even after being focused. Is that an indication that the tube is shot?

It's taking up half my living room floor; had to remove the coffee table but might end up putting it on top of that because the screen has to be too low with it on the floor. Also was thinking of putting it on a table behind the sofa and moving the sofa out towards the middle of the room 3 feet, but not sure if that is worth doing.

I've got my DTC-100 hooked up with the VGA output going to the RGBHV input. This also has the decoder module for standard video in the bay above the RGB module. However, I can't figure out how to get it to use those inputs.

I connected a source to the S-video input and switched to input 6, but I get no image and the PJ says No Vsync. Is there a trick I need to know or some documentation for this module?

I'm still figuring it out and playing with it but, despite the problems with the tubes being damaged, the picture on HDNet is awesome! Not quite as sharp and crisp as my friend's JVC G1000, but very nice looking. Considering what my budget was and the fact that I bought it with known problems, I am pretty happy with it at the moment. I hope I'm as happy once the novelty wears off.

So, what do y'all think?

Mongo

·
Registered
532 Posts
Congrats on your new PJ Mongo,

You might have to reset the input. Go to the Utilities Menu, then Source setup, then Clear Current Setup.

Also under the PIC menu, go to Decoder, then under both menus make sure they are set to Auto Detect (Video Standard and Signal Routing)

Also try the composite input as well.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, Mark. I tried what you suggested and no luck. The * menu shows me that the input I selected is input 4 or 6 and source is composite or s-video respectively. It also says that the decoder option is installed. Both inputs were already set for autoselect.

Kind of a mystery to me. Still lookin' pretty good. Even with some daylight comng in through the closed blinds.

Now, if I can only come up with a green tube....

Mongo

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Sorry, you won't find a good used green tube as they wear out first in these sets. Better to pull yours out and get it rebuilt by VDC.

Still, get to know the projector first. If you think convergence is a challenge, just wait until we introduce you to astig...;-)

(realignment of the tube when you put the rebuilt one back in)

Curt

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Curt, I have to give you some special thanks for answering a lot of my dumb questions even though I didn't end up buying a projector from you. I just couldn't swing the cash and ended up getting this one for $550 with no shipping because it was local.

You can be assured that I will refer any of my rich friends your way if they are looking for something. It is obvious from the way you do business that you're a top notch vendor.

Converging the thing wasn't really that bad. I had to do it over a few times until I got the geometry right and the setup correct for my DTC, but once you do it a couple of times it really isn't difficult.

I just can't get over how good it looks, even with the problems. I know I kicked and screamed about not wanting a CRT projector but I doubt a 500 buck LCD would look anywhere near this good, and once I get it fixed up, I think it will be a really nice projector from what everyone says about the Marquees.

Thanks again, Curt.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought it from a private party who lives in my area. Spent a lot of time trying to find one through dealers and eBay but finally decided this one was worth getting as-is and trying to fix up as/when I can get the parts/money to do it.

Made a visit to Home Depot for screen-making materials today and will post some pictures once I get the screen set up and things more or less where they will end up staying.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hi Mongo, first of all congratulations. This is very silly, but you have propably allready noticed the switch you can select between two s-video inputs ?

marqueedehome

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not silly, which switch?

·
Banned
6,553 Posts
Mongo,

Great job on finding a CRT projector for that cheap...$550, WOW:)!!!

I just wanted to let you know that I have a green CRT in my shop for a Marquee 8110+. It only has ~750 hours on it and most importantly, no phosphor burn.

I am a short drive from you up here in Central PA, half way between Harrisburg and Lancaster, if you're interested and want to save on having it shipped.

Email me at [email protected] if interested.

Good Luck, I know you will have many hours of enjoyment out of that baby!!! You DEFINITELY made the right decision going for CRT rather than LCD, that's for sure:D!!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the lead on the tube and the kudos on my purchase. To be honest, I think the guy I bought it from may have felt sorry for me because I have been trying to get a projector on no money for a long time (read some of my other posts and you will see the history of this adventure). You have no idea how happy I am to have one now.

I really never thought I'd end up with a CRT in a million years. I had every reason not to want one and in the end it was the best thing for me. I should have listened to you guys in the first place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.