Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From slashdot.org this afternoon.

Quote:
Ars Technica has an interesting article on how HDCP figures into Microsoft and Apple's future OS plans. Not only will future HD content not play in pure HD on most existing monitors (it will be degraded, or not shown at all), but high-end monitors today don't support HDCP yet. HDCP has been coming for 3+ years, but geek fantasy items such as Apple's $3,000 30" Cinema Display don't even have support for it yet! The end result is that when Windows Vista ships (and Apple's next OS), most people won't be able to watch protected HD content on their computers.
Click here for the main article.

Our best hope may be in the form of HTPCs in the end. Seems like there'll be cracks, hacks and outrage if a $3000 high end monitor can't display HD content.

·
Registered
24,895 Posts
All in a days work for the display and player manufacturers. To make it work they will simply have to write off the 9 million sets without HDCP compliance. It does look like an interesting brew is steeping but still my gut is that they will be able to sell content along with boxes to play it and sets to watch it and it will be an exclusive club. That club will grow slowly and the early adopters left out but later buying new sets to watch it. It is a type, like me. I want the best and latest toy in my hobby. Yea, it will piss me off but probably not as much as someone who wasn't informed a year ago and spent a very big chunk of their income on say a RP CRT set etc.

I think this is more likely where the fecal remnants will fly. High end shops , Best Buy etc sold and are selling sets with sales staff that know nothing of this large black cloud.

Art

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.