AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys I might be going with the Plasma route since honestly I'm getting sick of tired of LCDs.

If I get it the TV it will have two uses:

* Xbox 360

* PC Second Monitor for old 2D games (MAME, SNES, Genesis, etc.)

I'm looking at a 42 inch Panasonics because it is around my price range and this is going into a dorm room.

I'm sad that the Panasonics don't support VGA so for the 360 and the PC I have to use DVI or HDMI.

For the Xbox I will have to use HDMI to the TV while use the Digital output to an external DAC for stereo sound (I don't do surround sound and my sound receiver is a late Marantz from the 70s). If I use the external DAC it will make the sound a lot better for the 360 than using its own internal DAC. Remember I'm not using the built-in speakers on the TV. My roommates got ticked that I said that many built-in TV speakers are terrible (which is true for the most part). The speakers that I will be using are the Monitor Audio BR2.

For the PC my laptops VGA port is busted so I will have to buy a USB to VGA/DVI/HDMI from Monoprice. Monoprice claims that the unit will not cause any lag when playing games on it so I'm going to order one to find out that is true.

Now I didn't know that you need to break-in your TV and such.

Ok here's what I would like to know for people who have knowledge:

* Is this a good idea to do Plasma and not LCD with this setup?

* Wait for the 2010 Panasonics?

If there anything else I need to know I would be happy. I'm just trying to do research to see if this setup can be done.

·
Registered
34 Posts
You didn't mention what your price range was or if you could live with 720p.

A plasma should work great for you, you just want to take it easy when it is new- don't pass out and leave a static image on the screen for a couple of days with it in vivid mode.

As Panaman stated the 42-G25 would be a great plasma for you.

But just in case you are looking for more budget oriented options the TC-42PX14 (2009) and TC-42PX24 (2010) box store (Costco, Sam's, BJ's) versions of the X1(720p) both have a VGA port.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I echo the above replies.

I'm in the same boat as you, HyperDuel. I'll be getting a new plasma mostly for Xbox 360 gaming, with some movies and sports (DirecTV DVR). These Panny G25's look very nice, and as of the time of this writing that's what I'm personally leaning towards.

On a side note:

Does anyone know if perhaps Costco or Sam's Club might by chance get any of the new 2010 Panasonic models in their stores? I'd love to buy from either one locally, and couldn't remember whether or not they carried the 2009 Viera models from last year (I wasn't really looking at TV's when we've frequented there, quick in and out).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Budget should be no more than $1000 and it would be nice to have 1080p support, but it is not needed.

Edit: OK maybe a little more for the G25 but we'll see. If they are selling that TV at best buy I can ask my friend to buy it for me since he works at Best Buy which = to discount!

·
Registered
3,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYpanda /forum/post/18226174

On a side note:

Does anyone know if perhaps Costco or Sam's Club might by chance get any of the new 2010 Panasonic models in their stores? I'd love to buy from either one locally, and couldn't remember whether or not they carried the 2009 Viera models from last year (I wasn't really looking at TV's when we've frequented there, quick in and out).

They usually have one or two Panny series available. 2009 I saw nothing higher than S1 at my Costco though I didn't get there much. Online may be different. I would think 2010 G would be the tops you could expect in-store.

·
Registered
161 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar /forum/post/18226668

They usually have one or two Panny series available. 2009 I saw nothing higher than S1 at my Costco though I didn't get there much. Online may be different. I would think 2010 G would be the tops you could expect in-store.

Thanks.

Yeah, I didn't recall many Panasonic plasmas when we were in there - was just asking to be sure. I figured that they would most likely get the lower end series and the G series would be bonus. Barring a local vendor, I think that I will try out Cleveland Plasma, as they seem like a great company to do business with and Chris posts around here often.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
+1

Chris is great and always keeps people informed of availability. Plus the service he provides by arranging calibration reviews with Chad B. is a real bonus. The 54VT25 is expected in very soon and I am so close to pulling that proverbial trigger. Was looking to grab the 54V10 after Christmas but the recent Panny stuff has forced me to delay and look at alternatives, which is a good thing. At least I know the strengths and weaknesses of most everything out there that would be under consideration. Before the MLL issue it was always Pio or Panny.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yeah, Chris seems like a great guy and goes out of his way to make sure that people are happy. I like doing business with those kind of people, and making sure that my dollars go to the "good guys" in sales. Pretty nice perk that you can also have Chad calibrate your display before being sent off.

I have to say Clarke, those 54VT25's look amazing on paper. If I had a bit more coin to work with, that's the model that I would purchase. I'm of the same mind set as you are, it was always going to be a pioneer or panasonic for my next HDTV purchase in my new man cave. I've been reading over this stuff religiously the last few months, and an informed consumer is the only way to go about things nowadays. Hopefully these new 2010 Panasonic PDP's fare better than the 2009 models (especially the troublesome displays that people had).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts