Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone,

Maybe I missed something, but Karnis (Wayne Harrelson) was posting like mad until like October, and he was a really helpful guy to have around because he was probably the single most knowledgable HTPC/PowerStrip user I've ever encountered. He was always very cheerful, polite, and helpful, not to mention extremely knowledgable. His most recent post was to voice his offense over a thread of suggested "sniper movies," wherein the poster was inspired by recent shootings to take in some sniper cinema. Wayne is from the area where John Muhammad's killing spree took place, and he seemed more than a bit offended. I really hope such an excellent guy was not so offended by someone on this forum that he left. That would be a shame. Anybody know what happened to Mr. Harrelson??

Dan

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
If I recall correctly, not only did he leave, but he took down a very useful thread of information that he had been the original poster in, on his way out. Thus precipitating a change in policy on avsforum disallowing thread starters from deleting the threads they started. (He wasn't the only one to do something like that, just the last one.)

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
Wow that sucks. I guess it had occured to me that I hadn't seen a post from him in awhile, but I figured he was just busy. Sad to see that the actions of a minority made him leave.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
He left becasue of a thread in the dvd software forum that someone posted about wanting to see a Sniper movie around the time of the sniper tragedy. When the post was not deleted, he left. Drew

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Barhoram:

That's what I was afraid of. The moderators here are usually very good about dealing with potentially offensive material, but I have to put some of the blame on Mr. Bott's shoulders for not deleting the thread immediately. It was a poor call. However, in his defense, the thread was only up for six hours after Bott's first post to it. I don't think there's any excuse for adaseng, who posted the thread in the first place. Extremely poor taste and no sensitivity whatsoever, and we lost one of probably five or six major contributors to the forum (moderators excluded) over it. Too bad.

Dan

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't know if I understand that sort of reaction, but whatever. Hopefully 10 or 12 members will follow them to fill their vacancy.

matt

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
It is a shame we lost Wayne... He is still available on the TT forums and would probably be just as helpful there if directly quizzed...

Contributors come and go, and it is always nice to see one of the early faces (Mark Foster / Mark Reijon / many many others) pop back in... Workloads and life make having a constant AVS addiction a hard nut to handle...

There was even a thread a few months back discussion the very early AVS pioneers and acknowleging what various people had contributed to the scene since the early days...

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i guess ken f. was a bit "before my time"... who was he and what happened to him? we may as well round up a few other names of the departed while we're at it

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Mr Gronk,

I am pecking this out on a TabletPC (painfull and something I dont normally do) but it is nice to give credit where it is due...

Here is a thread that credits many of the early adopter and also (I have to say) when the signal to noise ratio was very different...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ght=early+days

Many have fallen by the wayside but I hazard a guess thatmost still pop in and lurk once in a while... For the record, I dont make the grade :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Its ridiculous that some people have such thin skin. We should NOT close threads that are offensive to a few, lest they threaten to leave. Ridiculous!

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MrGonk
Everyone,

Maybe I missed something, but Karnis (Wayne Harrelson) was posting like mad until like October, and he was a really helpful guy to have around because he was probably the single most knowledgable HTPC/PowerStrip user I've ever encountered. He was always very cheerful, polite, and helpful, not to mention extremely knowledgable. His most recent post was to voice his offense over a thread of suggested "sniper movies," wherein the poster was inspired by recent shootings to take in some sniper cinema. Wayne is from the area where John Muhammad's killing spree took place, and he seemed more than a bit offended. I really hope such an excellent guy was not so offended by someone on this forum that he left. That would be a shame. Anybody know what happened to Mr. Harrelson??

Dan
Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I pulled the custom rez thread and several of my others. It may seem harsh but I do not wish to be associated with the AVS Forum any longer. Some may cry "sour grapes", that's fine. There is no conspiracy theory. It is due to the thread you mentioned. I will copy you with a letter I sent to an AVS HTPC moderator who is a pal of mine. Feel free to comment if you wish, I don't care, it probably won't last long anyway... you may not agree with my actions, but I hope you at least try to understand them.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"(snip).....My backyard would be a better description. Not only that but my job takes me regularly to many of the exact locations of some of the shootings.

I work often in the area where 6 shootings took place. I installed the

CCTV camera system at the Home Depot in Falls Church, Va and visit there

often. I frequently gas & go at both the Exxon in Fredricksburg, Va and

the Asland, Va exit, across the street from the Ponderosa....a popular stop for

people traveling in & out of the Richmond, Va area off I-95. I lived in fear for weeks as did most in this region...for a damn good reason.

So when the "sniper" thread appeared in the DVD software section I very

politely noted that the thread was at the least inappropriate, and asked

that out of sheer sensitivity to the victims and other DC area forum members that the thread be deleted. The moderator decided to leave it open, even though several members described it as "inappropriate", "offensive", "crass", "insensitive", etc. Then

David Bott decided to actively participate....which IMHO showed a

tremendous lack of sensitivity. "J*********a" posted a thread that DC

area members should "take a chill pill", "check the facts" and "don't

buy into the media hype" (I posted that I found this to be insensitive & it

was deleted). I received a long hate mail in the form of a PM from

"r*****o" blasting me and rambling on about the insignificance of the

events, accusing the American Government of war crimes, etc etc etc. I

posted it, asked that my account be deleted, and it was removed. That

thread should have never been allowed to continue in the first place

IMHO. At that tine I PM'ed David Bott and told him that if that is how

he chooses to run his forum then I choose not to participate. I asked him to

please delete my account, and he refused. I sent him a response to

please respect my wishes as I no longer wish to be associated with the AVS forum...he still not respected my wishes yet and deleted my

account. It wasn't until this communication that

Mr. Bott closed the thread, saying the original poster had gotten

"enough

recommendations" for various sniper movies. Yet it still stands. At that time I decided to pull many of my informative threads.

One of the few things a man truly has in this life is his values and

beliefs. IMHO letting that thread stand & continue to stand showed me

that Mr. Bott and I do not share these same values & beliefs. Of all the

nit-picky edits and thread deletions that go on around here, the fact they allowed

that thread to stand and continue was unacceptable to me, as was the participation of the Administrator. So I have

ended

my association with the AVS forum, and will not return.

Thank God that, apparently, the 2 snipers have been caught, and the

reign

of terror in this area is over."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will be my final communication at the forum. You are correct, the forum will survive just fine without me...just as I will survive without it. Take care.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
To be honest although I missed the furour I would feel strongly too...

I agree it sounds like a very crass and insensitive thing to do (considering I am currently in Phuket which is getting the highest Government bomb warnings since the Bali incident and constant news of JI activity in SE Asia believe me I sympathise with feeling unsettled)... I move to paradise and people start blowing it up :rolleyes: typical !!!!

However you may feel... Some of us do miss your discourse... Perhaps you could consider that the community is not purely the administration....

Good luck whatever...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.