AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know much about these types of things. I just got a hdtv yesterday and got a hdmi. I connect the hdmi to my laptop and hdtv but the quality of the videos on the tv looks bad compared to watching it on my laptop. I got a 1080p hdtv and my laptop can go 720p. Is it the videos themselves that's causing the bad quality or is it something else?

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
If you are outputting 720p content to a 1080p TV/display then the TV/display has to invent the content required by the higher resolution. This upscaling of the resoutiion will cause blurry content especially for PC desktop applications. For vidio it may not be too bad.

And if the resolution of your laptop screen is less the 1280x720 then just upscsaling it to output at 1280x720 will cause blurry content.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
What is the content? If it's downloaded or streaming videos, then it's the compression your seeing. H.264 is pretty efficient, but once you drop down to that 5-7Mb/s range, something seriously has to give - and that usually is sharpness. First the image starts getting softer as detail goes away, then you get pixelation during fast movement.

Even Silverlight isn't going to look very good on a large screen compared to higher bit rate TV or Blu-ray.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it's pr0n which i downloaded from streaming sites. i fixed the problem, i put the wrong resolution on my laptop. once i put it at the right resolution it improved by 500%.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts