AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen any mention of this projector here- is it out yet? I am strongly considering it for my new apartment to project onto a blank wall- can someone point me to any previews/reviews either here or on the net/ Or is it simply not out yet? Thank you!

·
Registered
39 Posts
I was considering this PJ at one time. I like the fact that it's front vented and the lamps are only $195. The cheapest price I've found is $1299. However, adding in the cost of the VGA component cable adapter (another $50) and a progressive scan DVD (another $150), I went with the Infocus X1 instead which you can get for around $1150 after rebate. I just hope I don't see rainbows. If this is the case, I'll probably go with the Panasonic PT-L200u and a progressive DVD. It's the same resolution as the HS2, has longer bulb life (up to 5000 hrs.), component inputs built in and can be found cheaper ($1099) but only has a 1 yr. warranty (the Sony is longer). I guess you must weigh the pros and cons for yourself. Good luck.

Steve

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Yeah, you're nuts:)

I'd take a higher res and higher contrast ratio pj like the Z1 (which I own) or L300 anyday over it. Thanks

So 1300 for that Sony and what, around 1400-1500 for the Z1 which as stated, you get higher res and better contrast and probably a little more brightness. IMO it should be a no-brainer.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I saw a Philips Garbo on display at my local shop yesterday and I must say I was quite impressed with the picture (ok, it was Toy Story II, but still). The screen wasn't too large, probably around 90" diagonal, and it looked good, even with some ambient light. Maybe at 6000hrs lamp life this little projector shouldn't be discarded?

·
Registered
24 Posts
The hs2 is a great projector i ve got one, here are the pros and cons

pros- 200 for bulb lasts 3000 hrs in cinema black mode.

pros- can handle up to 1080i hdtv

pros- has a good scaler ( in my opinion )

pros- plenty bright even with lights on in the room

pros- it looks cool ( lol )

pros- never gets too hot (mine doesnt anyway)

pros- 16x9

cons- its native 480p so 720p and higher gets downrezed

cons- doesnt have dvi hdcp (but it only does 480p anyway so....)

cons- vga in only does 4x3 so if want to do htpc you need to have a card that has s-video or component.

Thats about it really its a great little projector for someone who doesnt want to spend more. Lets face it alot of the projectors you can get right now you are going to want to replace in a couple of years because there is so much new stuff coming out. The new lcd contrast technology from Sony and so on. I based my decision on the fact that i trust Sony's product and I wanted something cheaper that looked good in the picture dept. and the hs-2 fits my bill. In 3-4 years I will have something different. My advice just pull the trigger and get what you want to get. All of these projector in the sub 2000 are equally great with each of them having some diff pros and cons. But in the end your going to be enjoying what ever you get.

jeff

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spaigejr
cons- vga in only does 4x3 so if want to do htpc you need to have a card that has s-video or component.
Just got my HS2. Very pleased indeed! Now I was considering to buy the signal interface cable SIC-HS30 mainly for seeing DivX movies.

But having stumbled across the statement above, I am rather confused. The manual says it is possible to adjust the horizontal size of the picture from a PC. Doesn't that help + possibilities to adjust picture through computer?

Cheers Sonn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.