AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have a Blu-ray player and several movies I am fascinated checking out the MBPS rates of each disc. The Spiderman 3 Blu-ray hovers around 30mbps but the Halloween Blu-ray gets up into the 40's MBPS. Why is it different from disc to disc? Is there a reason for it? Also what exactly does it tell you overall about the picture quality if anything? What is the top MBPS a Blu-ray movie can spit out? Sorry if these are stupid questions but as I said I am fascinated. Thanks J.H.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grommet /forum/post/12859254

Please use search regarding bitrate, and you'll find many intelligent and not-so-intelligent postings.

My advice: Stop looking at the inaccurate bitrate display and enjoy.

+1

·
Registered
6,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.H. /forum/post/12858338

Now that I have a Blu-ray player and several movies I am fascinated checking out the MBPS rates of each disc. The Spiderman 3 Blu-ray hovers around 30mbps but the Halloween Blu-ray gets up into the 40's MBPS. Why is it different from disc to disc? Is there a reason for it?

There are many factors that affect a video encoding though I would point out that the PS3 video bit rate meter is not that accurate when it comes to peaks in the video stream. As for why encodings are different that is because there are many factors that affect a video encoding such as the maximum peak video bit rate, the maximum average video bit rate, the video codec used, the video encoder used, the amount of time put into the video encoding, the aspect ratio of the video, the amount of grain in the video, the amount of detail in the video, and the amount of motion in the video.

Quote:

Also what exactly does it tell you overall about the picture quality if anything?

By itself not much since there are many factors that affect the picture quality of the video.

Quote:

What is the top MBPS a Blu-ray movie can spit out?

40 Mbps for the video stream and 48 Mbps for the AV stream.

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well excuse me to the two snotty jerks who replied first. Thank you to the 3 person I appreciate your input. The two snotty jerks are the reason why people look at home theater owners as SNOBS! J.H.

·
Registered
612 Posts
J.H., relax... not being "snobby." What's wrong with recommending "search"? The 3rd post answers are only a few of the many that are already in this very forum. Heck, I even pointed you to a recent related thread. My advice still stands: Don't worry about bitrate.
Sorry, with so many duplicate threads/questions in this forum... I sometimes tire of repeating the same things over and over.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts