AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When listening to a stereo cd i want to have the rear speakers play the SAME stereo that the front left and right play in addition to have the sub playing but i don't want the center to play or any processing going to the center.

Before my Panasonic quad receiver went kaput, i was able to play stereo in fronts and rears without any processing and to my ears, the soundfield was fuller with more punch and more natural.

Is there a way to do this with the MC-12 or do i have to add a 2nd unit like the Marantz 7400 which i am told can accomplish this task?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Gary,

You should be able to accomplish what you want with the MC-12. The MC-12 has a mode called 2-Channel Surround, which routes stereo information to all speakers, plus summed main L/R information to the center speaker. This mode (as with most modes in the MC-12) allows you to adjust the output levels to the center speaker, side speakers, rear speakers, L/R subwoofer outputs, and the LFE output, including the option of OFF. All you would have to do is set the center channel to Off for the 2-Channel Surround mode and you would be in business.

Michael

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Michael,

Thanks; it's odd that when i posed this question to Lexicon tech support i was told it's not possible.

What perplexes me is that i upgraded from Wharfedale E50 Series fronts to Revel Performa M20's and upgraded from an old quad receiver and 12 band equalizer that i used just for cds and i'm not getting the punch and dynamic sound anymore. Sometimes older works better but it was time to upgrade as the right rear channel on the quad unit went dead and one of the Wharfedales was distorting. The MC-12 and Revels may be superior products but i would love to have my old set up that gave me 35 yrs. of pleasure.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Very true, HSG says some things are not possible. I was thinking the 2-channel surround, (an improvement from earlier generation Lexicons Stereo Surround, not to be confused with Music Logic, Stereo Logic, or Logic 7). Another option could be to bypass all processing and listen in stereo mode and use an AUX output from you DVD player to another amp, or an AUX out from the MC-12 to another amp to just the rears.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Using 2 Channel Surround and turning off the center speaker seems to work so i don't see what i would gain by feeding the analog output of the dvd player to another amp.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
It would change anything, I just first thought of it as a way to test for stereo surround, but if 2-channel surround mode works with the center off that would probably be best.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.