AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are you using a rear center as well as sides I hear more about 7.1 and am wondering how many of you use 8.1 and opinions on either option.

front left,center, front right

left side,right side

left rear,rear center ,right rear 8 speakers plus sub 8.1

this is what I am referring to.

·
Registered
5,549 Posts
A single rear center channel is a bad idea due to the way we perceive sounds. We can mishear a sound coming from directly behind you as coming from directly in front of you... which totally kills the reason for having a rear center.

Logic 7 on the Lex is built around having sides and rears with each channel getting its own content for this very reason.

Shawn

·
Registered
30,208 Posts
DW,

The MC-12 has outputs for 2 rear speakers; how were you planning on hooking up a 3rd rear speaker?

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never looked I thought with ES and EX were for a rear center channel

speaker so I figured it would have the output the front of the LEX has the logos for it but since I had not bought a speaker yet I had not noticed

if there was an output

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DW
I never looked I thought with ES and EX were for a rear center channel

speaker so I figured it would have the output the front of the LEX has the logos for it but since I had not bought a speaker yet I had not noticed

if there was an output
A single rear center is neither supported nor desirable, for the reasons Shawn explained. THX Ultra actually specifies two rear speakers operating in mono for the EX rear channel (this goes for DTS ES as well), and this is covered by the two rear speaker outputs which have always been standard on the Lexicons. You can use them in one of two ways: as a mono rear for straight EX/ES decoding, or as stereo rears for Logic 7. Since Logic 7 uses EX/ES encoding as part of its steering cues, most owners prefer the Logic 7 route, since it preserves the rear steering while adding stereo separation.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
782 Posts
At one time, as I understand it, Alan Gouger and David Bott both used a Smart Devices CS-3X, Jr. in conjunction with their Lexicon MC-1's to derive a center rear channel, which went along with the left and right rear surrounds provided by the Lex. When I got my Lexicon MC-1, I went ahead and hooked mine up in the same manner since I had the 3X, Jr. I may therefore be the only person who still has the 8 speakers set up like you mentioned (with an additional three subs). Shawn and Philip have explained why a single rear is a bad idea, and I don't disagree. Having said that, I will also say that when I've used the single rear in conjunction with Logic 7, I personally have never heard anything that I found distracting. However, having listened to Logic 7 both with and without the 3X, Jr., in the mix, and I can also say that the single rear doesn't really add anything either. These days, even though I still have it set up, I rarely turn it on, and wouldn't recommend it to anybody. I am simply waiting for the day when I move my Yamaha DSP-A1 to the bedroom (it is currently serving time as a three channel amp), and then I will use the 3X, Jr. to add EX-like capability, most likely with two speakers rather than the one I have now. As someone who has a setup like you mention, I recommend going with the 7.1 setup, two sides, two surrounds. The additional rear center isn't worth it, and at worst may mess things up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.