AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can wire 38 home theaters together but when it comes to serial cables I am moronic. I just installed the MC-12 V.3 upgrade and the hardware part was simple enough. But, the only serial cable I have is female on both ends. For the upgrade, I need a male to female cable.

So, I tried removing the serial cable between the PC and my UPS on my desktop PC to hook up between my laptop and the MC-12. I thought this was a serial cable, I mean, it has the right ends - male and female and it fits correctly. No go. I know I need a "straight through cable" but is there any way to tell if the UPS cable is a straight through cable? Trying to determine if it is the cable or some other problem. Tried a null modem adaptor on that cable too - whatever that is. Still did not work. Thanks.

· Registered
1,652 Posts
Serial cables generally can only be null modem or straight through, and a null-modem adapter basically flips between the two: a null-modem adapter on a null-modem serial cable turns it into a straight through, and similarly for straight-through to null-modem. Sometimes null-modem cables have something like "null" or "N" written somewhere on the connectors.

Anyway, are you sure you've connected to the right serial connector, since there are two in the back of the MC-12? Facing the rear panel, you want the left serial port, labeled "1". Also make sure you've specified the correct COM port in the Lexicon updater program.

--Andre

· Registered
5,548 Posts
"No go. I know I need a "straight through cable" but is there any way to tell if the UPS cable is a straight through cable?"

If the UPS is an APC unit that cable isn't going to work as they have some weird pin out on it.

Either get a gender changer for your original serial cable or just go to Radio Shack or Staples or CompUSA and get a straight through cable It might say Modem cable or extension cable. Just be sure it isn't NULL Modem.... that won't work.

Shawn

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. It was an APC UPS unit. I'll drop by RS or CompUSA and get the right part. Appreciate the help!!

By the way.... assuming I get the software installed, this is a VERY simple upgrade. Ground yourself, replace an IC chip, plug in a board. That's it. Took me 20 minutes, and I was moving VERY slow to be anal about it.

-ach

· Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah...but the bionic sounds would have sounded better in panorama mode.

Hey Dean.... I keep watching your comments over there on your software board to control the MC-12B by serial control. I still intend to get into that after some other projects.

By the way, the software is updating to 3.0 as I write this now that I have the correct cable. :D

-adam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.