AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I skip purchasing a Media center remote and expect the 890 to work properly with MCE. Does the 890 provide a USB IR receiver that can be made to put the computer into standby and wake it up from standby via the Power Management tab in Device Manager (No S3 option in my BIOS)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had one (well, an 880) and sold it the next day and bought a $30 MCE remote and am MUCH happier. However, my computer does everything and I don't have a lot of external audio visual gear (just tv, amp). If you are using MCE for tv tuning and everything else, then I think the harmony remotes suck. If you have a lot of diverse gear, need to turn some on for some activities, etc, then the harmony is cool. i don't know about the IR stuff - I think the 890 does include ir blasters.

·
Registered
765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreenturtle /forum/post/0

I had one (well, an 880) and sold it the next day and bought a $30 MCE remote and am MUCH happier. However, my computer does everything and I don't have a lot of external audio visual gear (just tv, amp). If you are using MCE for tv tuning and everything else, then I think the harmony remotes suck. If you have a lot of diverse gear, need to turn some on for some activities, etc, then the harmony is cool. i don't know about the IR stuff - I think the 890 does include ir blasters.

I totally agree. My 550 is heading to a dumpster as soon as one of those Side Show remotes (discussed some time ago) becomes available. I only keep it to turn the system on and off.

By the way, how do you turn your gear off and on? I wasn't able to program both the TV's and the receiver's on/off on the MCE's single programmable power button.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I don't know about that reciever specifically. I would recomend the microsoft one.

Also I see allot of bad talk about the harmony but I love my 880 and 890. Wife can use them and although the sideshow remotes will be nice, I doubt they will be cheap.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Maine Jeff you can use any USB receiver but unless your planing to only use the AIR/Cable Tuner input, and software you use need be programmable by keyboard shortcut like with Girder or what ever software it come with, how ever if you have a settop box cable/sat receiver you must have the Microsoft USB Remote/Reciever and you should be able to program the Harmony 890 remote to sent the Microsoft Remote IR Codes.

MCE dosen't support any 3rdparty IR transmits.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
really its not the USB receiver but the back end software. and with MCE..... ONLY the MCE usb receiver will work.

But if you buy a third party remote/receiver/software like snapstream they have put into their backend software to take in commands and control MCE.

so if your looking to control MCE, then get the MCE remote/USB receiver toss the MCE remote asside, program your harmony and call it a day.

- Josh

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.