AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pioneer Elite with MCACC and Im trying to decide if I should also get an SPL meter.

1. Are there any advantages to use an SPL meter over the auto calibration?

2. The MCACC seems to have an equalizer in addition to loudness and distance adjustments. How does that work; and is it accurate?

3. Any reccomendations on SPL meters or features?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Yes, the advantage is, to ensure that MCACC did what it was supposed to do. I would consider something more like REW a mic and outboard sound card hooked up to your computer for checking what MCACC has done, but if you just want to set SPL levels in your receiver, that's what the SPL meter is only good for (well...maybe a couple more things).

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SierraMikeBravo /forum/post/19630142

Yes, the advantage is, to ensure that MCACC did what it was supposed to do. I would consider something more like REW a mic and outboard sound card hooked up to your computer for checking what MCACC has done, but if you just want to set SPL levels in your receiver, that's what the SPL meter is only good for (well...maybe a couple more things).

WoW1 Sounds like a bit more than I wanted to chew.

What if I only want to do speaker volume level adjustments? Will the SPL be worth buying?

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkaz /forum/post/19630465

WoW1 Sounds like a bit more than I wanted to chew.

What if I only want to do speaker volume level adjustments? Will the SPL be worth buying?

Yes, but there is a lot more to getting a system into alignment than just setting SPL levels. Timing, phasing, levels, parametric EQ is what MCACC is supposed to do, but whether it did it correctly may never be known to you unless you use some sort of analyzation equipment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.