AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on upgrading from my existing MCE2005 to VMC x64. I'm trying to get everything in order before making the upgrade.

One answer I could not find was if my existing programs recorded by MCE2005 will be able to play in VMC. Does anyone know? Or will I have to use a 3rd party utility to convert from DVR format to a codec such as divx and view them under 'Videos' in VMC.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
yes they will be able to play. I converted from mce 2005 to VMC and had a good 50 recordings that played just fine on VMC.

Both MCE 2005 and VMC (pre-TV pack) both use DVR-MS format.

- Josh

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pre-TV pack. Does that mean if I install TV pack (which I will because I use QAM) that the recordings won't work or did you just say that because you didn't have the TV pack installed at the time and aren't sure if that pack may screw it up?

Either way I think I'm going forward with it tonight. I've got everything else checked out (x64 drivers, QAM, MKV HD playback, etc). Worse case is the DVR recordings don't work and I just have to use a 3rd party to convert them on the Vista machine to something that will work. I wouldn't see not having the MCE2005 preventing the utility from accessing the recordings to convert them in Vista.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
meaning at the time (and now) I am NOT running the TV pack, too many issues, and too many quirks with the TV pack that I chose not to install it.

From what I've read and seen, the DVR-MS recordings will still work with the TV pack installed, however you won't get thumb nails with the recordings, TV Pack breaks that for some reason.

-Josh

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have to ask...why not wait a while to go to Windows 7? I was debating on going to 64bit Vista, but for the cost I would rather wait a year and get the latest and greatest. Since 7 is a cleaned up version of Vista and built off of same platform, most add on programs should be adapted easily.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
why wait? you can get OEM copy of vista for cheap, and then can use the "upgrade" option to go to 7 when it comes out.

And honestly I wouldn't expect to see 7 for sale until at least Q1 of 2010.

- Josh

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Vista Premium Upgrade is only $90 retail and it'll let me make use of 8 GB of DDR2 8500 now instead of only 3 GB
I prefer the VMC interface, too (I have it on my laptop).

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
yea but you honestly won't even ever come close to using all 8 gigs, hell you'll be lucky to take advantage of 4gigs.

- Josh

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well damn Microsoft. I open up the Vista Premium I purchased and there is a note saying if you want the x64 version you must request it to be mailed to you...and they want to charge $10 for it. Bastards. There is no reason they couldn't have fit both versions on a DL disc.

Screw paying them. I'm attempting to look for a place to download the x64 version and use my license key. Anyone know if the MSDN Vista x64 installer would support my Premium upgrade license?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts