AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

I am having a bit of trouble getting DVD's to play within MCE. I can do everything else, including watch live TV, saved videos, etc. Whenever I select the Play DVD option I get this error message.

"Cannot Play DVD"

"The DVD may be in use by another application. If all other applications are closed, the display resolution may need to be lowered or the display connection type may not support playback of the DVD. For more information, please go to Help."

I have the PC connected to my 27" Sony CRT TV via S-Video. I can watch DVD's using PowerDVD on either monitor without issue. The decoder I am using is "Intervideo NonCSS Video decoder for Hauppauge".

Here's some info about my HTPC.

AthlonXP 2.2Ghz

Abit NF7-S mobo

2GB DDR RAM

Radeon 9800 128mb

160GB + 250GB SATA

Hauppauge PVR150 (NonMCE)

XP MCE 2005

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
As noted, that decoder doesn't decrypt CSS. So, if you are playing a retail DVD it will fail every time. Play a ripped DVD to confirm this or use another decoder from a retail package like PowerDVD, WinDVD, or NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder.

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 /forum/post/0

As noted, that decoder doesn't decrypt CSS. So, if you are playing a retail DVD it will fail every time. Play a ripped DVD to confirm this or use another decoder from a retail package like PowerDVD, WinDVD, or NVIDIA PureVideo Decoder.

Chris

AHHHH!

Thank you!

Figured it was something right under my nose...

Anyway, I had PowerDVD5 installed. Whenever I made that decoder active, I could not do anything. Fortunately, I had an OEM copy of PowerDVD6 lying around, so I installed that. Everything seems to be working now!

Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.