AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just found the forum and absolutely love it.

I been playing around trying to find my self the perfect OS for my HTPC. I used MythTv for a while and although its a very configurable system and stable most of the time, it's annoying when each version changes, reinstalling, etc.

Here are my specs:

MSI KT4V motherboard

Duron 950Mhz

128MB nvidia fx 5200 Svideo out

1 gig ddr 233mhz ram

Hauppauge 150

300gig maxtor 7200rpm hard drive AND 80 gig maxtor 7200rpm drive.

soundblaster live 5.1

windows remote and receiver

Rogers Digital Box

While its not even close to being powerful, its something that works to record and play at the same time AND when I find the best OS, the first thing I do is upgrade the processor speed to 3.0Ghz +.

Anyways I currently have MCE 2005 installed (SP2 and Rollup 2) and its been decent in stability and done mostly everything I need it to do BUT is the vista MCE much more stable then this version or worse in stability?

Thx

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Well, on those specs I wouldn't ever put Vista on that PC. Stick with MCE 2005. Doesn't matter if Vista Media Center is more stable (stability often depends on driver support, something Vista doesn't have yet), it will run so ridiculously slow that I'm sure you would trade back to MCE 2005.

Chris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisL01 /forum/post/0

Well, on those specs I wouldn't ever put Vista on that PC. Stick with MCE 2005. Doesn't matter if Vista Media Center is more stable (stability often depends on driver support, something Vista doesn't have yet), it will run so ridiculously slow that I'm sure you would trade back to MCE 2005.

Chris

Definitely agree with the driver support. On my main pc with vistas its been a nightmare even with supported hardware. A ton of programs used daily by me on a regular basis, even as simple as adobe still doesn't function properly. I'll stick with MCE 2005 for a few years then and upgrade my system for that OS then.

Thx for the reply chris.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Stick with MCE 2005, much better driver support. I'd give Vista 6 months to a year before you'll start to see better drivers for vista, then maybe, just maybe vista is ready to be a full time thing.

- Josh

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just finished purchasing the windows remote control with Ir tuner. Works perfectly. I still need to assign a few more buttons like Power and TV but the rest worked out of the box.

As far as my setup goes. I am able to watch TV and record at the same time with absolutely no slow down. The system specs I stated above were more then enough to have MCE 2005 SP2 Roll2 running smoothly.

I just finished adding a 2nd hard drive (300Gig) and changed the recording location using tweak MCE. Great little script to change the little things to have the system up and running smoothly.

The system was running fine before BUT I decided to take it a step further and started shutting down uneccessary services being used by windows using the overclockers club found on the "Free killer apps for your HTPC" thread.
MY CPU and RAM Usage

CPU: Hovers around 55-65% when watching live tv and/or recording.

RAM: Only uses 240MB total out out of 1gig stick I have in there.

I'll post back with any additions or little tweaks to get the most of MCE 2005.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.