AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have MCE 2005 installed and working with the ATI HDTV Wonder to receive digital stations. However, I can not pass Dolby Digital to my receiver. SPDIF out is enabled, and sound it being sent via the coax cable to my receiver, but it is not dolby digital. Does anyone have this working? My sound card is an M-Audio revo with the latest drivers. If you have this working, do recorded shows also playback in Dolby Digital? Thanks

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I just got MCE 2005 working with the ATI HDTV Card as well but all that is on - and that I am receiving right now, is only in stereo. I will post more info when I get a chance to record something in DD5.1.

What were the steps that you took to install the drivers for the ATI Wonder?

What analog tuner are you using? Are you having any syncing issues between sound and video?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I downloaded the latest drivers from ATI's site as well as the MCE 2005 service pack rollup from Microsoft. I installed the service pack rollup, and then the ATI drivers, and MCE picked up that i had this card installed. I'm using a hauppauge pvr-250 as the anaolg tuner. I am seeing syncing issues when I fast forward or rewind either live or recorded digital tv. the sync issue goes away if i hit stop and then resume, but that will be a pain. Still trying to get this dolby digital thing worked out as well.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Well I thought I had everything up a running OK and was looking forward to a HD program to see if 5.1 works. Well as soon as I chnged the channel to an HD Program this afternoon, BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!

So I messed around with a few settings, reinstalled drivers, etc. Same thing.

I went ahead and installed the ATI Software Program and was able to see the baseball game in HD but it stuttered so bad it was unwatchable - It did, however, send a 5.1 signal to my Logitech Z680s!

I have the PC in the basement and several Coax cables running to the master bedroom where the antenna is located. I am getting good signal strength - 5 out of 6 bars, but was wondering if the length and number of coax cables could be causing the stream to drop and maybe be causing the BSOD?!?!?!?!?

I am going to rebuild - I have a Ghost image on DVD of the base MCE 2005 now to cut down on installation time :rolleyes: so we will see.

My configuration is as follows in case anyone has any ideas:

MSI K8N Neo Platinum

Athlon64 3000+ retail

MSI Geforce FX5900XT 128 Meg

Hauppauge PVR 350

ATI HDTV Wonder

512 Meg Crucial

40 Gig Maxtor - system drive

250 Gig Maxtor - Drive for recording, etc.

Lite On DVD/RW

Think it could be the ATI and Nvidia cards not "playing" nicely?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you connecting to your Z680s via a digital optical cable? What DVD player are you using, and what audio settings?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Yes, Digital Optical Cable through Optical connection on the motherboard.

Does the DVD Player (codec?) have something to do with the HDTV card?!?

I am using PowerDVD 5 with the Audio pack that adds DD5.1 and DTS capabilities. I have the DVD Software doing SPDIF as the connection and I think the Windows sound is set up for either 5.1 or "6 speakers". I think the 6 speakers is for the 6 physical analog connections though?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll have to try powerdvd. I tried it after installing windvd, and it gave me a decoder error. I think this might be related to the problem, because i can not get the choose SPDIF as an output to stick in Media Center.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
This is probably the same issue I have with MCE 2004. At the moment the video control used by MCE only allows connection to the DirectShow renderer, this renderer with a lot of sound cards doesn't support connection with the digital media type that spdif output requires. Can anyone from MS shed any light on this and suggest what it is that we need to get the audio driver makers to change to allow the correct support.

John

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John,

Interesting point. Would this apply to both DVD and Digital TV playback? I can get Dolby Digital and DTS to work properly through while playing DVDs, but can not get it with Digital TV. Sound Card is an M-audio revo, and I am using WinDVD 6.

Also, does anyone know if recorded HDTV shows playback in Dolby Digital? Or is it multi-channel WMA? All info I can find of MCE2005 regarding HDTV is very limited at this point.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barhoram
Interesting point. Would this apply to both DVD and Digital TV playback?
It applies to both on 2004.

Quote:
Originally posted by barhoram
Also, does anyone know if recorded HDTV shows playback in Dolby Digital? Or is it multi-channel WMA? All info I can find of MCE2005 regarding HDTV is very limited at this point.
It will be recored in the same way as broadcast so DD 5.1, there won't be any format conversion.

John

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks.... any idea why I can get DD from DVD's with no problem, but can not get it for High Definition broadcasts?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
This is pure (but educated) speculation. When the dvd navigator connectes to the video decoder it will connect as AC3 format and that may tell the decoder to set up properly to digital output and so on. When the TV connects it may connect initally as MPEG audio and then dynamically change to ac3 and this may not result in the same end result.

The fact that DVD's work is good news and means it should be possible to get the TV out by spdif too although somebody may have to fix a problem.

Could you get a small segment of HDTV recodeded for me to have a look at, that would help greatly.

John

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will see if I can record something small tomorrow. Spent most of the evening fiddling with all of the sound settings, and can still not get Dolby Digital passed via SPDIF to my receiver.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.