AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First time poster, long time reader.

I was wondering if any one is having problems using a LeadTek 8500 GT Passive HDMI card?

I've already had one gone pop through overheating within 15 minutes use and a second just this minute has also overheated and died.

The card is plugged into a Gigabyte GA-G33M-DS2R/S2 with a Q6600 processor.

The thing gets hot just showing a BIOS window so it's not under any kind of stress?

Could this be a faulty batch? or is it because the Ahanix MCE303 case I am using is too short and causes the case to become an extension of the GFX passive heatpipe?

Thoughts would be appreciated!

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Spoke to PCWorld Business technical support who said that LeadTek are always good solid video cards and I was probably unlucky getting two faulty ones. I did consider getting the MSI 8500GT passive HDMI card but the technical chap said he wouldn't suggest it as Leadtek are a dedicated GFX manufacturer and MSI are a broader vendor (motherboards etc)

So, hopefully a second RMA and the third won't have the heating issues.

I did read you can burn your video card if you get accidentally connect the SPDIF to a voltage pin. However, in my case this wasn't happening.

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the third card produced the same problem. Heat.

I've been recommended the MSI NX8500GT-MTD256EH card by two other guys on the forum, so purchasing that through QuietPC.com

I also tried the MSI with an active fan but was way too noisy.

I would probably wait for the new R790 series coming out in March if I had to do it again. These decode 1080p VC1/AVC without issues.

·
Registered
53 Posts
flannell was it burning out w/ gaming or watching hd movies?

I would go for the MSI but it does not come with low profile bracket & I cant find a low profile bracked with hdmi connector.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts