AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I currently have an older Terk HD antenna (directional with the fins) and I am currently getting all the stations I want except CBS. Apparently I need an antenna that is stronger. Can someone recommend me a cheap solution? Do I get something to amplify the antenna I have or do I get a completely different one? I know monoprice has a highly rated one for about $30 shipped.

Please let me know what you think is best.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Please go to tvfool.com and post back your location information, need to know what we are working with to make recommendations...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a pic of my antenna. It doesn't have a model number on it. If you know the model number, I'd appreciate the info.

I can use an external antenna if I need to. I can attach it to the railing on my balcony. Would it be best to do that or get some kind of antenna booster for this terk? The external I was looking at is this: http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 unless there is a better one for the same money (or less).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
That antenna looks like a UHF only antenna, similiar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-ZHDTV1.../dp/B00007HULD

which would explain why you can't get VHF 12. You need a VHF/UHF combo antenna.

Your stations are to the SE of you, is that where the antenna in the pic is pointing?

If your signals are good now on your existing channels, you can try the Radio Shack budget VHF/UHF indoor antenna. keep in mind VHF is hard to get with an indoor antenna

especially since you are 44 miles out. In that case putting something outdoors would help.

As far as the antenna on monoprice, I can't comment on those since I don't have one.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your help. I am curious if I should buy the monoprice one or is there a good deal on the ANT-751? Are there other cheap ones to consider?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm sorry, I mispoke. My current antenna is the Zenith ZHDTV1 HDTV-UHF Antenna

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
I'd stay away from the "cute" little monoprice one. Those kinds of antennas are more gimmick than anything else.

The ANT-751 might work OK,if you have a fairly decent line-of-sight to the stations, although 44 miles is cutting it close...very, very close. The radio horizon is usually about 30 miles or so, meaning a bigger and higher antenna is always better.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I think I am going to give that 751 a chance then. I don't really want to go much bigger. There is always CBS.com if I absolutely have to.

I wonder if I can recoup a couple bucks off this old antenna.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ended up getting it at Buy.com for $44.xx. I went there because I find that they ship quicker than Amazon Super Saver shipping. Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
10,880 Posts
dman918, I have ordered this antenna from both sources and haven't noticed any difference in shipping times between the two sites. But it may have to do with where one is located and where/how items are shipped. It's a great little antenna, though!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts