AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Im planning on buying a used mcintosh amplifier, its the mc2105. But I need all your input on this. Is it worth it buying and spending $1000 for this? I dont listen to old school music. Im into rock/pop/disco type music. I heard that this amp is only good for those classic music, not so much on new generation type music like Metallica, guns and roses, aerosmith,eagles,eric clapton,etc...

Thank you

· Registered
18,923 Posts
I have never understood why an amp would prefer one type of music over another. Yes, I have read stuff like that. But just because it's in print, does not make it true

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16825190

I have never understood why an amp would prefer one type of music over another. Yes, I have read stuff like that. But just because it's in print, does not make it true

That is why I took my time and joined on this forum for issues like this. I need all the experienced members out there for their inputs. I need some clarifications on this matter.

I guess the only way to find out is to jump in and see for myself.

· Registered
18,923 Posts
I will tell you this. You will hear both sides. Many discussions in audio boil down to an objective and subjective "camp."

The subjectivists would be more likely to think some amps work better with some music.

The objectivists would be more likely to say an amp is a amp for the most part. Power, price and reliability are the objectivist's amp buying goals.

· Registered
18,923 Posts
One more point. Greatful dead used McIntosh amps. So if they sucked for rock music, they made a mistake

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/16825412

I will tell you this. You will hear both sides. Many discussions in audio boil down to an objective and subjective "camp."

The subjectivists would be more likely to think some amps work better with some music.

The objectivists would be more likely to say an amp is a amp for the most part. Power, price and reliability are the objectivist's amp buying goals.

Yes! I put out tons of questions regarding speakers, amp, pre/pro and at the same time Im auditioning speakers. There are lots of comments, suggestions I recieved, I thank you for that. But, ultimately, I make my own judgement and proceed whats best for me. Its because most members suggesting this type of equipment it doesnt mean I go ahead and buy pick one up for myself too.

Im currently auditioning speakers and have already pissed off a couple of salesman.

· Registered
1,013 Posts
The MC2105 that I am familiar with is a very old amp. IIRC it was a first generation Mac solid state design and was highly valued in its day because of it's stability driving real speaker loads.

Sometime back in the 1970s, I stopped by my local stereo shop, a long time Mac dealer, where they had just gotten in a new Godzilla amp. I was asking if there were any significant differences in amplifiers, and my regular salesman did a little test where he switched between the MC2105 and the Godzilla, driving Crown electrostatic speakers. I believe I heard a very noticeable difference. It wasn't subtle by any means, the Godzilla was much clearer, less muddied.

I have no idea if that was due to a volume difference, an actual audible difference, or even a placebo effect and I make no claims one way or the other about differences in modern amps. But I would wonder if a design as old as the MC2105 hasn't been superceded by modern designs.

Thanks

Bruce

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.