AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older McIntosh MC2125 Amplifier and I was curious if I am making my connections to my speakers properly.

On the back of the amp there is are right and left speaker connections... It says something like COMM, 2, 4, 8, 16 and the owner's manual is very vague on the connections.

I imagine the even numbers correspond with the Ohms, and that you connect either the + or - to the COMM and the other wire goes to # with the average Ohm ratings for your particular speaker.

Not sure if I have my speakers are in phase or not... Does + = black and - = red? Or vice versa??? And which wire goes to the COMM and which goes to the #???

·
Registered
836 Posts
Usually comm (short for common) is for ground, or - which is almost always black.

If your speakers have only red and black connectors (no + or - markings) then Red will be +.

So if you have 8ohm speakers, hook the red (+) up to the 8 and the black (-) to the comm. All the speakers will use the common ground.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you that is exactly what I was looking for... Not sure why the Owner's Manual wasn't very clear on the whole issue, might have been due to the fact it was built in the 70's???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.