AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For 5.1 sound, would you set the LS360's speakers to (small) and let the 2 JL subs (F113's) take over under 80hz.

Seems like a waste of a great musical speaker, but almost everyone says set all speakers to (small) not (large) and let the sub handle the duities.

dunno...?

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Titus /forum/post/15477595

For 5.1 sound, would you set the LS360's speakers to (small) and let the 2 JL subs (F113's) take over under 80hz.

Seems like a waste of a great musical speaker, but almost everyone says set all speakers to (small) not (large) and let the sub handle the duities.

dunno...?

That advice is given because the vast majority of the speakers on the market are not full range. My LS360s measure flat at 20Hz and up 3db at 25Hz in my room. The primary advantage I see for crossing them over at 80Hz is to equalize the bass if the processor you are using does not have bass correction. If you have bass correction,imo, you are just throwing away bass to cross a speaker with true in room full range performance over at 80Hz.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
I would say do the 80 hz crossover. Then you will get higher SPL and lower distortion because you relieve the mainspeaker for the sub 80 hz frequencys.

·
Premium Member
7,246 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 /forum/post/15478890

I would say do the 80 hz crossover. Then you will get higher SPL and lower distortion because you relieve the mainspeaker for the sub 80 hz frequencys.

If you have enough power you can easily get high SPL with the speaker. I measured 120db with a California Audio Labs MCA2500. I have not measured the MC501s that I use now for max SPL. You are likely right about lower distortion by crossing over,especially intermodulation distortion. A compromise might be to cross them over at around 40Hz to at least get some benefit from the 140 pound speaker's two 10 inch woofers. I think that's the dilemma of the OP. It is hard, looking at a large 140 pound full range speaker and then using the same cross-over frequency that one might use for book shelf speakers

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
If the mainspeaker must reproduce, let say 30-80hz, it will distort at lower SPL levels than if you let a couple of good subs reproduce the 10-80hz.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I noticed that for music setting the Front speakers to (large) and the other 3 speakers to (small) the system sounds the best.

For movies setting the Fronts (LS360's) to (small) crossed at 80hz sounds the best.

Its almost like very song or movie needs adjusting, to sound its best.

I need an AVR with a lot of memory buttons....

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Sounds like something is wrong. My speakers alway use 80hz crossover with both movies and music and it works perfectly.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN74 /forum/post/15483316

Sounds like something is wrong. My speakers alway use 80hz crossover with both movies and music and it works perfectly.

Your correct!

I think my LS360's alone are more musical then my subs crossed over at 80z.

With subs, the notes are tight not much air.

But for HT where I need punch, the subs are best left crossed over.

Big difference/improvement for HT.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts