AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't HD related but Mark does frequent this forum......

I know that the auction didn't pan out for you. But I am here to do what I can to help you out. How much would you pay to sit just 12 feet from.......the image of my NEC LT-150 on a Da-Lite screen for the Wizards vs. Knicks game in all its NTSC glory. Wait there's more. Before the game and during the half we can watch some of the Detroit Red Wings @ Carolina Hurricanes hockey game in 1080i on HDNet. I can guarantee that I will be less annoying to sit next to than Spike Lee. Also, you can yell all you want without fear of the officials tossing you out or having the league fine you. (Unless you have Jimmy Buffett with you....note Jimmy Buffett was tossed from a game for yelling profanities at the refs). I will ask for a deposit though. Just in case you get too excited and break something.

To make it more authentic I have arranged for a friend from work to join us. He isn't very tall and he perspires a lot. He said that he would bring a large towel and really get into the game.

The cost of this deluxe package is tax deductible minus the face value of the ticket. In this case the value of the ticket would be 90 cents. I figure 3 hours on the bulb at 30 cents an hour.

To those that were lost by this post........Spike Lee offered up his extra ticket to the hightest bidder for the Wizards vs. Knicks game. This is Michael Jordans first game back. Spike Lee as many know has courtside seats to the Knicks games. The proceeds would go to, I believe the Widows and orphans fund from the WTC disaster.

ps - OK I was a little bored. I did follow that auction from work today. It was anticlimatic though. I was hoping to see Mark come in with a winning bid with 10 seconds left to go. asjlkkhhrjlllllllasdk.....sorry for that last bit of drivel I was watching HDNet while typing this and I finally caught the Lord of The Rings Trailer....WOW!!! Darn it everytime I convince myself that DVD's on my HTPC are awesome along comes some HDTV content that makes me yearn for HD-DVD's.

So that I am not accused of posting off topic drivel.......I hate to see posts like these but in this case it is different because I was there.....I recently spoke to a DirecTV rep at my local hi-fi shop. He mentioned that starting in the first quarter of 2001 there will be 4 new HDTV channels. He would not elaborate but I could tell that some of my guesses were correct. I guessed Discovery and Showtime. He sort of smirked. I couldn't get him to spill the beans on the other 2 channels. I wondered about bandwidth but then we talked about the new spot beam sat. I asked if they would move the "old" 101 sat and use it for HDTV but he still wouldn't say. I have not followed up with the latest but I would guess that they should free up some space on the 101 sat once they move all the locals to the new sat.

Dino
www.dinotheo.com

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoT

So that I am not accused of posting off topic drivel.......I hate to see posts like these but in this case it is different because I was there.....I recently spoke to a DirecTV rep at my local hi-fi shop. He mentioned that starting in the first quarter of 2001 there will be 4 new HDTV channels. He would not elaborate but I could tell that some of my guesses were correct. I guessed Discovery and Showtime. He sort of smirked. I couldn't get him to spill the beans on the other 2 channels. I wondered about bandwidth but then we talked about the new spot beam sat. I asked if they would move the "old" 101 sat and use it for HDTV but he still wouldn't say. I have not followed up with the latest but I would guess that they should free up some space on the 101 sat once they move all the locals to the new sat.
And you believed this rep? Have you read the innumerable posts over the past year about upcoming HD channels told by 100% reliable sources (and more reliable that any rep who would be in local store) that never came true. A bit of friendly advice. Get your flak jacket on real fast :D

·
Premium Member
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
And you believed this rep? Have you read the innumerable posts over the past year about upcoming HD channels told by 100% reliable sources (and more reliable that any rep who would be in local store) that never came true. A bit of friendly advice. Get your flak jacket on real fast
Jerry,

I know, I know. I have been an avid follower on this forum for a while. I know that I just opened myself up to a serious shelacking. I have met this rep a few times. Years ago he hinted about HBO-HD. Earlier this year he also hinted at HD-NET. Now hopefully he will come through again. I didn't pay much attention to him until he started to make sense about freeing up bandwidth. I think that if it will happen it would have to wait for bandwidth to free up. With the incredible amount of content that they now have crammed onto their 2 sat's I don't see that there is any way that they could squeeze many more channels onto the existing sat's, much less HDTV content. I have watched as DirecTV added channels and my existing stations would worsen.

Dino

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
90 cents wow i would pay up to a dollar for a night like that. :) :D ;)

Any name yet on who payed the 100 g's for that seat. I know that the NBA has kept his or her identity a secret.

Also this would be better placed in the HDTV Chit-Chat section. (but who besides me actually looks there on a regular basis?:) )

PS- Mark be sure not to make choke sign with your hands when the opposing team is shooting a free throw. (Mark got fined for this because of its vulgarity.) "This is what happens when the NBA is run by lawyers!" -- Mark Cuban:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.