AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question for DIYers out there. I'm planning on building a pair of ZaphAudio ZDT 3.5 towers, and got a call this week from an uncle. He let me know that he's got a ton of 5/8" MDF laying in his garage that he's decided he wont be using. Knowing I'm a big fan of MDF, he called me to haul it away for him. The build calls for 3/4" MDF, so my question is will the less thick wood cause any audible differences from the design? Obviously resonance at high volume levels would creep up sooner, but I don't plan to jam these speakers very often. Would the marginal difference in thickness for the internal bracing make a difference?

I know I'd want to keep the internal volume the same as opposed to the external. Anything else I should know?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Build the box with the 5/8 and overlay another layer of 5/8 and you will be in business and it will be built stronger than with just the 3/4. More work, but way stronger.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just build it from the 5/8" MDF. The relative difference is probably far less than the difference between room treatment and no room treatment.

·
Registered
4,311 Posts
I would just go with the 5/8" material, and possibly add some additional bracing to the walls if you care to. I doubt you would notice the difference.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts