AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a nutshell, OS 'limitations' aside, what the pros/cons of a MDP-130 vs HD-5500?

I'm running dual XP installs (using Grub hiding) with Vector Linux 5.1.1 SOHO as my primary -- so again, OS 'limitations' are not an issue for me.

One note, Linux is indeed slightly preferred as I can use a modern filesystem.
But that won't keep me from going the MDP-130 route if it is a better card of if there's better software to pair with it.

Thanks!

DrCR

p.s. If either supports flags or DRM, that makes my decision easy...

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
What's an HD-5500?

Gary

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCR /forum/post/0

what the pros/cons of a MDP-130 vs HD-5500?

There have been many threads that do a pro and con on the MDP-130 vs a software decoding card like the HD-5500. I would suggest that you search the forum for them and weigh the arguments. Take your time with it -- there are things about the MDP that you should be aware of before you purchase.

I will, however, add that the MDP is not currently supported under Linux. For the very latest info on when support might possilbly, if ever, develop, see this thread

Quote:
If either supports flags or DRM, that makes my decision easy...

No card, past or present has BF support ... as for DRM, both likely have Macrovision capability for analog in their hardware, but respecting that is another story. MDP won't decode/playback protected DVD content, but this restriction is easily circumvented with software (AnyDVD, DVD43, others?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary /forum/post/0

What's an HD-5500?

Its a software decoding DTV card sold by pcHDTV. Its their third such offering (preceeded by the HD-2000 and HD-3000 .... the HD-5500 undoubtedly is named as such given that BBTI/Technisat released their HD-5000 just before pcHDTV brought out their current card). In comparison, it is essentially an analogue to the Dvico FusionHDTV5 Gold (barring the construction and slight PCB layout differences, and different LG NIMs (which themselves differ only in that one has a longer F connector than the other)).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kei /forum/post/0

ts a Linux based card that uses MythTV

The companies focus has always been for the Linux userspace, and while the drivers shipped with this card are indeed Linux based (i.e DVB drivers), that hasn't always been the case -- the former HD-3000 and HD-2000 also shipped with Windows WDM drivers on the CD. Perhaps they are still doing such with the HD-5000 but not advertising as such. In any respect, Linux is indeed the focus.

As to with what application the card can be used with -- any that supports the DVB framework. i.e. its not limited to MythTV

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan /forum/post/0

Was this thread posted just to express your mastery of OSes?

lol it's not that hard, and my expertise is definitly on the hardware side of things. Here's a little HowTo I put together at VectorLinux's forum:
HowTo: Multiple, Independent WinXP Installs on the Same HardDrive via Grub

Thanks for the info! Could you post the MDP things I should be aware of in a nutshell? Naturally familar with the computer hardware requirement differences, but that's about it. Would the HD/Fusion allow playback while recording, unlike the MDP? Is that what you're getting at?

Off to do some hunting of my own. Thanks again

DrCR

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
1 more con:

Limited functionality on hyperthreaded/multi-core/multi-cpu machines.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I may need to replace my "Venice" E4 with an X2 (939pin). Or maybe replace the guts with a C2D setup if the prices keep dropping. Not sure if my MSI 7600GT supports XvMC. Guess I'll find out soon enough.

Going to make it work on my distro of choice, Vector Linux . I'll post a link to a HowTo when all is said and done.

DrCR

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.