AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like a good transfer to me...next week is Almost Famous. Would they use the same transfer that was on Pay Per View (at least on DirecTV)? That looked very good, as I recall.

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Found the resolution so poor on this one that I jumped over to the CBS college ball game just to ensure my HDTV section hadn't gone on the blink. Don't know what HBO had in mind. I've seen digital cable from Time Warner here with more 'crispness', to use a loose term. (Yes, I'm firmly in the camp that says HDTV should have more picture detail than DVDs. And digital cable, locally at least, can match DVD picture quality.) I tuned in to this movie, among numerous other good choices, because I thought it was 1080i. I switched away after a few minutes. Used Time Warner's SA2000HD cable converter into my Philips 64PH9905. -- John

·
Registered
136 Posts
I also thought it was really soft. Very disappointing.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I'd rate it fair.

I noticed lots of artifacting in low contrast flesh tones (shadows under chins or along hairlines).

Look for this sometime. I think DirecTV is compromising HBO-HD's quality with compression or something. Seems the artifacting (in reds and low contrast flesh tones) comes and goes. Look real closely along hairlines and under peoples chins in the shadows.

When the artifacts are present you will see "grainy" red and green "gunk" in these areas.

Maybe my SAT-HD100 and KP-51HW40 is just more sensitive and brings out these defects ... But I can say that I did NOT observe any at all during the FL/FSU game on CBS. And after 2 weeks of having this setup I've seen them come and go on the SAME HDNet material.

Bob

·
Registered
202 Posts
I thought it looked awful in the movie theater. I haven't seen it again anywhere (dvd, etc.) The original may just be that bad.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
My sixth HBO-HD movie experience and I found it to be lackluster. Somewhat softy and only slightly better than DVD. MISS CONGENIALITY didn't look much better.

BLUE STREAK is on right now. Boring boring boring.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I have the DVD and it seemed soft to me also as did the HBO presentation last night. This may very well be a case of a mediocre film quality in the first place.

JohnR

·
Registered
447 Posts
The DVD release of this film is another Fox "shuck and jive" DVD release...

Just look for the evidence of the very poor faux animorphic transfer.

-- Robert

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.