AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happen to have a measurement microphone and I was really curious to see the general response of my speaker/room combo over different locations. I hooked it up, made sure calibration was in place, etc etc... Just used REQ Wizard since familiar... I know there are better programs, not into that right now.

I was surprised to find that all of the curves from locations around the room were fairly similar, save for a little bit of off-axis tilt in the high freqs. I was even more surprised to find that the 1/6 smoothing showed that all curves at any possible listening spot are +/-3dB, no wide dips or peaks. What I did notice is that there were 3 fairly narrow dips that showed up (around 500, 1k, and 3k) in my LP graphs, but the corresponding decay was slow. I would think this cancels out the narrow ~4dB dips since boosting them would aggravate the resonance at those frequencies...

Again, surprised it measured flat, although I always thought it sounded decent without EQ (Pioneer AVR). The bass is almost completely flat down to 70hz on all LP curves and then it drops off.

Sorry for lack of graphs at this time.

Ahem... I was wondering if the best course of action would then be to move the speakers around until I get the best imaging/stage, then see if EQ is even needed.
*rambles on incoherently* AHEM.

Questions... comments... etc

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yes, omni.

If I turn smoothing to 1/48, I can see the obvious comb filtering, yes. Still +/-4 with smoothing 1/48, save for a null that looks a bit wider (I see now, thanks :p) at 220, 1k, and 3k.

Mmm, using the impulse, good idea, thanks.

*goes off to do stuff*

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a bit of positioning and experimentation, I managed to get a proper soundfield, then a bit of subtle processing locked things in place. I'm certain this is the best imaging/soundstage I've experienced personally, nearly as good as I've imagined it can be. Time for sub integration
Another day... Btw the impulse-based analysis was more effective. Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts