AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone.

I've got long term school related "homework" which includes doing some research and experiments. I've decided to test all kinds of modern speakers and compare them. I've also gathered some info sources like Floyd Toole's book "Sound reproduction:...), internet resources and spent a lot time googling around. Mostly my reviews of speakers will be made subjectively simply by listening, but since it's school related I also need to do some measurements. What I've learned so far, that I won't be able to produce accurate, repeatable measurements with what I've got, but that's OK - I just need them to be there ( so they can sustain my subjective opinion ).

I'd like to hear some suggestions about measurements, technique and equipment:

1)First of all, I know there are lots of different measurement types - what should I measure? Frequency response seems to be the best choice to me.

2)Equipement. I'd be willing to by some cheap mic for about 40$, which should I get. Can I connect it straight to the PC soundcard without pre-amplifier, A/D converter?

3)Software and instructions. Which software should I use? Are there any good step-by-step instructions for diong this? So far I found this : purebits.com/appnote1.html

4)Technique. Placing speakers in the middle of the room, microphone 2m away from them (your thoughts?). Is there any way I can modify a simple living room to get the best results?

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,989 Posts
Google, panasonic wm61a. It's a mic capsule. They're dirt cheap and fairly accurate. You may have to build a preamp with a 9v battery depending on your soundcard. Mine I don't need one, but if you do, lilmike in the diy section has a tutorial. Very cheap and easy.

Get HolmImpulse. Great free software.

Put the speaker in the middle of the room, at least 1.5m from any obstructions. Also, elevate the speaker to be equidistant from the floor and ceiling. This will likely be you first reflection. Take the measurement in HolmImpulse and set the gate to 1m, or 3ms. That gate frequency is about 300hz. So everything from about 5 or 600hz and higher will be accurate. For more lower than that, take a room measurement and smooth it. Not accurate, but you can compare.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.